Options

Feature Request - disable SQL Prompt for specific apps

paschottpaschott Posts: 71 Bronze 4
edited August 23, 2007 10:44AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
I was also bitten by the Data Dude lack of support - in my case, I get a neverending error box that only allows me to "Continue". I do most of my work in SSMS, tweaking, etc and don't really see that changing much right now, but we are considering Data Dude as one solution for our Source Control, DB Integration, etc. needs.

If I could turn of SQL Prompt for VS 2005 only, I would have an easier time working with VS when it's working with the offline files. I was trying to do a diff for a problematic environment (code was somehow off by over a year's worth of changes) and VS kept giving me the error box from which there is no escape. That definitely made the task quite a bit harder, especially since I did not realize SQL Prompt was reacting with VS + Data Dude in an unexpected way.

For me, I don't personally need SQL Prompt in Data Dude at the moment. I realize that you'd basically have to read from scripts in MS' storage format or possibly even however it may have been customized. That would make refreshing the cache tricky at best. I could see it being useful as MS has consistently dropped Intellisense in each rev of SQL Server tools so far and I don't see a sign of that changing soon.

One last comment (not really product related) - Data Dude is its own product - it's an add-on for Team Suite and it's part of the VS 2005 Team Edition for Database Professionals. You cannot just add it on to VS 2005 Professional (or lower). You can't even add it on to an existing Team flavor for evaluation - you need Team Suite or the actual Team Edition in order to use it. Not being able to easily add it on or upgrade to it will probably have an impact on the user base for the time being.

-Pete

Comments

• Options
    Hi

Really sorry about this bug but was a really brain dead bit of code on my part. This will be fixed in the next version. We are looking at changing the installer so you get the option of what programs to install SQL Prompt into. This will hopefully solve this particular problem! For the time being there are instructions for removing SQL Prompt from Visual Studio in the following thread.

http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/vi ... php?t=5422

Lionel
    Software Engineer
    Red Gate Software