v6.2 and Source Control

Can anyone tell me if source control integration is going to make it into v6.2, due to be released in September?

Thanks - Randy

Comments

• Hi Randy,

Yes, this is indeed the plan. When synching from the development database to the working folder (i.e., the source-controlled scripts folder) SQL Compare 6.2 Pro will check out the relevant files prior to the synchronization. After the synchronization, SQL Compare will invoke a pending change set, which will list all the modified, new and deleted objects/files. From here, you will be able to select one or more files and commit them to source control with an appropriate checkin comment.

For this release we plan to test VSS, TFS and SourceGear Vault. However, as we are using the SCC interface (SCCI), in theory other SCCI-compliant source control tools _could_ work. We will hopefully add other popular source control tools to our 'tested' list as we progress.

Anyone who is interested in SQL Server source control, please let us know which system you use? Don't forget to also tell us which version?

Thanks,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • rickybibirickybibi Posts: 25 Bronze 2
    Yessss.

We use Borland Starteam.

Thanks
  • To provide an update on our source control support, we've reduced the number of "supported" source control providers to VSS and TFS. Other SCCI-compliant providers may work, but there is no guarantee.

There is a good chance that we will at some point release a public release candidate so we would be interested to know from as many users as possible how well it works (or how it doesn't work!) with your source control systems.

Remember that this new feature is for those who use the Checkout-Edit-Checkin methodologies. If you use Edit-Merge-Commit (CVS, Subversion, etc) then you should already be able to benefit from source control using SQL Compare's ability to export and synchronize a database to a scripts folder.

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • I would be interested in trying out RC version of 6.2 of SQL Compare 6. We use VSS and follow the model that DBGhost has promoted of different sub-projects for different object types (as we currently use DBGhost).

Please could you let me know when a RC would be available.

Thanks

Alex
    Alex Weatherall
    TeleWare.com
  • We are using Perforce and are looking into version control for our DBs. I am currently using an evaluation copy of the ToolBelt but so far it looks like a solid candidate.
  • Hi,

I've been working with Java development teams for about 5 years now that use CVS and/or Subversion. So that we could have one source control system, we've standardized all of our source code into CVS including database scripts. I'm very happy with the scripting captabilities in SQL Compare, however, I haven't found a way to have it commit to CVS. Is there a way? Can you guys add support for that?

Thanks,
    Randy M. Franklin, Jr.
    Thanks,
    Ra Osolage
  • Hi,
    The built in source control support that SQL Change Set provides is for Checkout-Edit-Checkin source control systems such as TFS and VSS. If you use CVS or SVN, it is relatively simple to edit and commit the changes with your source control client software, as there is no requirement to checkout before making changes. This is described more fully in http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/sql+tools/61769/

Can you outline exactly what you are trying to achieve? What would you like SQL Compare to do that you can't do in the usual manner using your CVS/SVN client?

Regards,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Hi sganz,

You can also try SourceAnywhere, which is a SQL-based source control system.
    http://www.dynamsoft.com/Products/versi ... where.aspx

Catherine Sea
    www.dynamsoft.com
    www.scmsoftwareconfigurationmanagement.com