Options

Enhancement Suggestion for Schema Panel and Cache

kepr00kepr00 Posts: 43 Bronze 2
edited August 23, 2007 10:36AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
If you can fit it in, I would like to see hotkey commands for bringing up the schema panel when an object is selected and for refreshing the cache for the current db.

Thanks for the tool.
Steve T

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,781 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

SQL Prompt displays object definitions in a schema panel, when you select an object name in the candidate list, providing that you have not selected the option to 'hide' the Schema panel (SQL Prompt Options->Pop-up Behavior tab->Schemal Panel).

The 'Ctrl + Space' keys are the hotkeys to bring up the candidate list.

To refresh the cache file for the database you are using in your query editor, on the SQL Prompt menu, click Refresh Cache, or press CTRL+SHIFT+D.

Hope the above helps.

Eddie Davis
    Technical Support
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    E-Mail: support@red-gate.com
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    kepr00kepr00 Posts: 43 Bronze 2
    The CTRL+SHIFT+D hotkey answers my cache refresh

Thanks

But as for the schema panel, what you said is not always accurate.
    Consider the following

I have the Aliases setting set to Enable Alias Assignment

I have tables
    TableA
    TableB

Here are examples of 'Ctrl + Space' sequences:
    Select * From Tab[Ctrl + Space] -- This brings up the object definition dialog and the Schema Panel just fine.
    However,
    SELECT * FROM dbo.TableA[Ctrl + Space]
    Produces
    SELECT * FROM dbo.TableA ta -- no object definition dialog popup is ever displayed because intellisence has completed the statement

So if my object name can be determined by intellisence the object definition dialog never has a chance to popup.

I did, however, investigate a couple of other scenarios.
    If I use this statment "SELECT * FROM dbo.TableA"
    Put my cursor on the T and press [Ctrl + Space] then the object definition dialog comes up along with the Schema Panel.
    So it is all about where your cursor resides when you press [Ctrl + Space] and if intellisence can determine your object name without the object definition dialog.

In any case, an explicit hot key for the schema panel would be nice.

Thanks,
    Steve T
  • Options
    Thanks for the request. Your right there is no way of doing that at the moment. I have added this issue to our list of enhancements for SQL Prompt so it will get considered for future versions. Thanks for the feedback.

Lionel
    Software Engineer
    Red Gate Software