[BUG] Table Aliases prompt for authentication

paschottpaschott Posts: 71 Bronze 4
edited August 14, 2007 4:55AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Using 3.5 release. I am still prompted for authentication when I use table aliases for the first time. Example:
SELECT *
FROM Table1 as t1
WHERE t1. <-- this is where I am prompted for authentication for the first time only.

When I cancel out, the alias works fine for the rest of the session.

Also, when I type in schema names (sys.objects), I am prompted for authentication as well. Any ideas?

-Pete Schott

Comments

• Hi Pete. Thanks for the bug report. I can't repoduce it though. Would be as kind as to give me a few more details:
    1) Which SQL editor are you using?
    2) How are you connected to database you are writing this query with? Windows or SQL Server Authentication?
    3) What version of SQL Server are you using?

Thanks you.

PS Please ensure you're using the release build and not the beta build. This is build 3.5.0.333. The build number is in the SQL Prompt menu -> About.
    Jason Crease
    Red Gate Software
  • paschottpaschott Posts: 71 Bronze 4
    1. SSMS - SQL 2005 SP2 + publicly released hotfix (downloaded through Windows update) - 9.00.3054

2. SQL Authentication for the most part. We have to VPN in to our data center so we don't have a trust relationship between our office and data center.

3. Production SQL Server is now 9.00.3050 (SP2 - no hotfixes).

I just downloaded the release build from your site. Just verified that it is 3.5.0.333. I was having the same issue in the 3.5 RC as well, but was hoping it would be fixed in the release.

As another note, I've found it also prompts me if I'm typing in a string (open single quote, start typing or paste in some text, get prompted to authenticate for something in the string).

Let me know what else you need and I'll send it.

-Pete
  • Hi there. Thanks for the details. We've seen a number of people with this issue but have been unable to replicate it in-house. We are investigating this issue and I'll get back to you when we've found the exact cause.

We suspect it has something to do with a particular security set-up on the server that stops SQL Prompt indentifying aliases as not DBs or Servers, and then SQL Prompt asks for authentication as an incorrect fall-through strategy. Either way, this is a high-priority fix for the next version.
    Jason Crease
    Red Gate Software
  • paschottpaschott Posts: 71 Bronze 4
    Is that next version as in 3.6 or next version as in 4.0? Just curious. I'm having a lot of trouble justifying $200 for my company to spend on the product in its current form. Getting cross-database queries back is helpful and so are the speed improvements, but it seems that a lot of items that mostly (I know and remember the bugs well :P) worked in PromptSQL were stripped away and are very slowly being added back.

Not trying to put down the team as I know coding is not an easy practice. Just saying that to me, this product is hard to justify @ $200/copy. If I were to purchase it, I'd find it much easier to pay closer to $50 and would pretty much pay out of my own pocket as I did with PromptSQL. No corporate purchasing to go through - just buy and be done.

I do appreciate the progress that 3.5 made over 3.0 and 3.1. Please don't take the above comments as if I completely dislike the product. It has a lot of use for me in day to day work.

-Pete
  • Hi there,

we will be releasing SQL Prompt 3.6 in the next month or so. This will be a bug fix point release.

Thanks,

Tom Harris

Red Gate Software