Options

Case-sensitive building Snapshot

dvomsaaldvomsaal Posts: 8
edited August 10, 2007 2:58PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
In Version 5.0 I could select Case-sensitive when building a snapshot from the Tools menu. That option is now gone, and when I try the File -> Export Data Source menu option I do not have the ability to choose case-sensitive. This causes my snapshots to fail.

I've worked around this by building snapshots in v. 5.0, but I certainly hope this feature is going to return?!?! Am I missing something?

Thanks,
DvS

Comments

• Options
    Michelle TMichelle T Posts: 566 Gold 1
    I've tried a few basic tests with databases containing objects differing only by case, and have succesfully made snapshots of those. So it looks like it's something more complicated than just case sensitivity (or a failure in our case-sensitivity detection) that's causing you this problem.

Do your snapshots fail to save out to disk at all, or are you having trouble comparing them to other databases after successfully saving them?

If they're not saving out, or you've checked your options are correct for comparing them to other databases but they're still not working, we'll need some more information to look into this properly:

Ideally, we'd like one of the failing snapshots (if they're getting written out at all), and/or a database backup of the live databases they're coming from, but I understand not everyone can give out this kind of thing.

We'd also like to know what your server collation is (for each affected server), what the database collation of the database with failing snapshots is, and what the database collation of the databases you're comparing against is (if you are getting to the comparison stage).

Hopefully with this information we can reproduce your problem and find a solution.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    The attempt fails prior to saving anything to disk. Here is what I get:

Aborted snapshot

A duplicate object name (name of a user) has been found. This may occur if the SQL Server that you are registering is case sensitive but the case sensitive option is not set.

In Version 5.0 I had the option of selecting case sensitive during the snapshot build - that seems to be gone for some reason now, so I don't know how to follow the above instructions. I have my Default Options set so that "Treat items as case sensitive" is selected, but that doesn't help.

Thanks,
    DvS
  • Options
    Michelle TMichelle T Posts: 566 Gold 1
    That's strange - I have a database with duplicate-named users here, and I can save it to a snapshot with no problem (SQL Compare automatically detects that it should use case sensitivity).

If you could send us (michelle.taylor@red-gate.com) the server collation and database collation, and (if you can) a database backup of the affected database, we'll have a look into it - this does sound like there is a bug with our auto-detection of case sensitive databases.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    I emailed you a backup.

Thanks!

DvS
  • Options
    Thanks a lot for the email.

It looks like the problem is that our case sensitivity auto-detection doesn't work when you have a binary-collation database.

Meanwhile you can work around the problem like this:

1) Make a new project with your live database and some other database, with the case sensitivity option turned on
    2) Compare Now
    3) Go to the File menu and select Export a Data Source...
    4) Make the snapshot from the tab with the already-registered live database on it.

Sorry about that; we'll have a proper fix in the next release, but I can't say when that will be, as we've only just released 6.1!
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    Thanks for the work-around; I'll look forward to the full fix in the next version!