Options

3.5 Setup fails

TOftringTOftring Posts: 10
edited August 17, 2007 10:07AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Hello,

if I try to install Version 3.5 of SQL Prompt the Setup fails during Visual Studio 2005 is starting. The Visual Studio Crashes and the setup fails.

I have only the Visual Studio 2005 of the SQL Server 2005 Express Edition. May this perhaps be the problem. Is there an option for the Setup to not install the Visual Studio 2005 support. Or is this just a bug in the Installer Setup.

Cu
Toftring

Comments

• Options
    There is no option to skip the 2005 install at the moment. The fact that the install fails when visual studio crashes is however a bug which we are hopefully going to fix in 3.6 . We have found that the bug where Visual Studo fails to start is intermittent so if you retry the installation it will probably succeeded. If you still have problems the run

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\DevEng.exe /Setup

before you run the installer. Hope that helps
    Software Engineer
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    Hi Lionel,

i had tried the setup 3 times, it stills crashes. Your tip with deveng.exe /Setup still doesn`t work. When are you have planed to release 3.6?

Cu
    Toftring
  • Options
    Sorry about that. We are are not sure quite how long it will be till the patch is out as quite a few of us are going/are on holiday. It will be soonish though (around a months time) as we are just going to fix the important issues that have come in the 3.5 release and not add a whole load new features.

You should be able to use 3.1 in the mean time.

Lionel
    Software Engineer
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    Just a hint for all that have the same problem. The following workaround allows you to install SQL Prompt.

Rename the following folder "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8"
    Then install SQL Prompt. After the installation rename the folder back to the original name.

SQL Prompt now works fine :lol:

Just the Integration in Visual Studio 2005 doesn`t work.

Cu
    TOftring
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

It looks like this solution just fools SQL Prompt into thinking Visual Studio 2005 is not installed, is that right?

I did notice there was a typo in Lionel's post, the command should be devenv rahter than deveng. :-)

Devenv /setup is atomic, though, and may cause you to lose some settings on other add-ins. Before using the /setup switch, I'd recommend using
    devenv.exe /ResetAddIn "RedGate.SQLPrompt.VSUI.Connect"

Note that ResetAddin is only available in Visual Studio 2005, but not in any versions previous to that.