Options

sql native rememebers history redgate doesn't?

programmer76programmer76 Posts: 12
edited July 27, 2007 8:26AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

I had a backup of database using red-gate. I deleted the database after that becauest it was needed. When I deleted it I uncheck the option to delete the back up/restore history for the database so that just in future if needed when i go to restore the database I can see the location where the backup files are stored automatically rather than remembering and typing the path on my own.

Now up on user's request when I go to restore the database using red-gate GUI interface I don't see that deleted databse's name in the list from which I can restore the database. However If I go to native sql restore then I do see that database's name (even though the databae is already deleted) in the list of database names from which I can restore the database because while deleting the database I uncheck the option to delete back up and restore history for database .

Is there any work around for this in red-gate? I know I can chose "browse to backup files" and restore the databse by selecting the new database and then giving new name but is there a way so that while restoring a database using Red-gate GUI it will not only show the names of existing databases for which back ups have been created but also display the name of the databases which are deleted but before deletion we created the red-gate back ups..Surprisingly Native SQL restore GUI does show the deleted database name in the databases available for restore list and also points to the exact location of red-gate file!

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

Unfortunately, the method you describe ("browse to backup files") is the simplest way to restore a "deleted" database. While the information is still retained in the internal SQL Backup data store, it is not displayed in the GUI on the restore wizard to try and keep the list of databases as simple as possible.

One workaround is to create a blank database with the same name as the one you've deleted. This will then result in all of the available backup and restore history being displayed in the SQL Backup GUI, and you can quickly select the backup file you wish to restore. It's not an ideal workaround, but would at least achieve what you are looking for.

I'll pass your idea on to our developers, and they can consider including it explicitly in a future release of SQL Backup.

Hope that helps,
    Jason