Options

Problem registering databases for the first time

eddiemccandlesseddiemccandless Posts: 3
edited July 25, 2007 8:09AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I just installed this product and the data compare works fine, but when I try to use SQL Compare to compare two instances, it always stops at 26% and when underneath "Registering databases" it shows the database name followed by "-Reading permissions." The information at the bottom says, "Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String."

I have about 20 instances of the same database with different data sets, and this happens anytime I compare one to another. It doesn't happen if I compare one to itself, but that's rather useless.

I am logging in to the databases as "sa"

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Michelle TMichelle T Posts: 566 Gold 1
    This sounds like a problem that happens when one of the SQL queries inside SQL Compare unexpectedly fails to return anything - we recently fixed a couple of these to do with interesting object names, but may not have got them all. Unfortunately it's quite difficult to tell which query is failing without further information. I don't suppose you could provide one or more of the following:

1) A Profiler trace taken during database registration, so we can work out which query is failing
    2) Backups of two databases which are causing this problem, or schema snapshots (as it appears to be able to register them one at a time), so we can reproduce the problem ourselves

You can email any information you're willing to provide to michelle.taylor@red-gate.com and I will take a closer look at the problem. If I have an email address for you I can also send you a file which will let us get the stack trace of the exception if placed in the appropriate directory, which is sometimes helpful in tracking down these problems.

Thank you for reporting this problem; hopefully with a little more information we can get to the bottom of it and get a fix together.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    Thanks for the response. I'm sending you an e-mail, so you can reply with the file you mention.