Options

initialize new fields (default value)

THATHA Posts: 2
edited October 17, 2011 7:00PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
hello,

i am new in sql compare 6. i have tried it.
Now I have the following question:
Is it possible to (automatically) initialize/set default values to new fields in the updated database.
For example: for numeric fields set default value to zero (0).
Another "problem" is:
One table gets a new (additional) key field. How can I initialize this field, too?

thanks in advance!

regards, tha

Comments

• Options
    Michelle TMichelle T Posts: 566 Gold 1
    I'm afraid there isn't currently a way to automatically initialize newly added fields with default values. It's a feature we've been considering adding in future releases, and I'll add this thread to the feature request.

Currently the obvious workaround is to add a default constraint to the field in the source database, but we understand that isn't the best solution if you don't want the field to have a default after the synchronization is complete.

You can also save the synchronization script / ask Compare to load it in Query Analyzer or Management Studio and then edit the script by hand to have a default constraint added and then dropped from the column.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    SQL Compare 9.5 with SQL Source Control 3 allows custom scripts that override default behavior. This should allow you to make any modifications you like, such as setting a default value.

http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/vi ... 1312#51312

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software