Options

3.5RC Issue with Symantec Protection Agent

cerapiercerapier Posts: 2
edited July 23, 2007 5:37AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Hi,

I'm having an issue with Sql Prompt and was hoping that someone has either seen this or can point me in a direction to resolve it.

When my machine boots, and SqlPrompt attempts to load I get a "System.BadImageFormatException", and it asks it I want to load either the Microsoft CLR Debugger 2003 or a new instance of Visual Studio .NET 2003 to debug it.

Also, if I then try to run SqlPrompt manually, I'll get that same exception.

This only seems to affect the integration with Query Analyzer. Despite the errors, SqlPrompt will run just fine in Microsoft Sql Server Management Studio, but not in Query Analyzer.
However, if I re-run the SqlPrompt installation, selecting either to repair the install or uninstall/reinstall...it then works with Query Analyzer. Of course, upon the next reboot, I'm back to the above exception again.

Why I bring up Symantec Protection Agent is because if I disable SPA, I don't any issues with Sql Prompt. But at work, disabling SPA is not an option.

Have you seen this before, or have any tips/suggestions on what can be done to correct it or work around it.

Thanks,
Calvin

Comments

• Options
    Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    Hi Calvin,

Thanks for posting. I imagine the protection agent objects fairly strongly to the way in which SQL Prompt tries to inject itself into QA. This is the kind of think that malicious code might try to do to hijack your machine.

However, since using a low level hook is the only possible way to achieve a good integration with Query Analyzer I don't think there's much we can do. The best thing I can suggest is to chat to your system administrator and see if there's any way they can alter the configuration of the protection agent so that it doesn't interfere with the SQL Prompt Query Analyzer integration.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd