Options

Location?

alexstyleralexstyler Posts: 22
edited July 11, 2007 3:47AM in SQL Toolkit Previous Versions
Well I installed the toolbelt-wide upgrade to grab the toolkit and upgrade my other utilities.

A few questions:
The Sql Toolkit 6 directory is empty save for an html file explaining the basic use of the kit.
The SQL Compare 6 directory has
RedGate.SQL.Shared.dll version 6.0.0.95 and
RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.dll version 6.0.0.928

while the SQL Data Compare 5 Directory has:
RedGate.SQL.Shared.dll version 5.4.0.5 and
RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.dll version 5.4.0.22

It appears it has some other out dated assemblies. If I'm to develop an application utilizing the RedGate.DataCompare.Engine.dll, should I continue to reference the old versions of the SQL.Shared and SQLCompare.Engine assemblies? Or, can I go ahead and use those new versions with the old DataCompare.Engine assembly with no conflict?

(Not to mention a SQL Bundle 5 folder that has even older versions of the same assemblies (5.3))

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Hi Alex,

The answer is, it depends. If you're developing an application using Data Compare, then you'll need to use all the 5.x.x.x DLLs; if you're developing using SQL Compare, use the 6.x.x.x series.

The reason for the versioning being out-of-sync is that we have, of course, released SQL Compare 6, but not yet SQL Data Compare 6 (watch this space - and drop me a PM if you're interested in being a beta tester!)

The SQL Bundle 5 folder is still present because we support "side by side" installations of major versions. This means you can still continue to use SQL Compare 5 after installing SQL Compare 6.

Hope that helps,
    Robert
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate