log shipping - recovery, what to do...

randyvrandyv Posts: 166
edited July 9, 2007 12:13PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hello -

I'm the primary DBA (amongst other things) here. I've been asked by my management to document emergency procedures in case I'm away when something 'bad' happens.

I've been referring them to the SQL Backup documentation for recovery since it is so clear and the product is so good.

Soon now, we're going to start using the Log Shipping abilities in Production. However, I cannot find anything in the online help file that provides the steps to bringing a database on standby into recovery and the steps to applying the final tail end log, etc. Do you plan on updating on line help? If not, do you have something documented that I can 'steal' instead of trying to write the procedure from scratch myself?

Thanks in advance.
What we do in life echoes in eternity <><
Randy Volters

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    We presently don't have anything documented, as the steps are almost similar to what you would do when using native SQL Server backups and restores.

E.g. to bring a standby database online:
    RESTORE DATABASE &#91;prod_mirror&#93; WITH RECOVERY

If you need to backup upthe log from a damaged database:
    EXEC master..sqlbackup '-sql "BACKUP LOG &#91;prod&#93; ... WITH NO_TRUNCATE" '

Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8