Problems with Install & AntiVirus

codecuttercodecutter Posts: 5 Bronze 2
edited June 2, 2010 11:22AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I tried installing the latest version (5.1) as an upgrade to an existing version of SQL Backup that I had successfully running (v4.6). Unfortunately, during the install the Symantec antivirus complained about a particular file being possible virus (sorry didn't record the filename it at the time). When I tried running SQL Backup the UI would come up, but the various servers that I imported from previous version would not connect. When I click on Properties for these servers I get the message with "Reason: 126" and a mention that the file xp_sqlbackup.dll or one of its dependencies could not be loaded.

I've tried "Repair" and even uninstalling and reinstalling (with virus checker turned off this time) but still get the same results. Any ideas?
Doug Krawec

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    From Query Analyzer or SSMS, run the following:
    EXEC master..sqlbackup

What is the output? Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • codecuttercodecutter Posts: 5 Bronze 2
    Pretty well the same thing I provided earlier, but here is the output from running this in Query Analyzer:

ODBC: Msg 0, Level 16, State 1
    Cannot load the DLL xp_sqlbackup.dll, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason: 126(error not found).
    Doug Krawec
    You can download just the extended stored procedure file from here (http://www.yohz.com/downloads/xp_sqlbackup.zip). Inside that archive is a file named xp_sqlbackup.dll. Place this file in your SQL Server instances' Binn folder.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • I have the same error as originally posted, but this is a new install, not an upgrade. I looked at the KB "http://www.red-gate.com/support/kb/KB200708000081.htm" but it seems to pertain to upgrades, not new installs. I didn't want to have to schedule downtime for the SQL restart if someone knew another thing I could check first.

And to add, the DLL is in the binn folder as expected, so it is not that it is missing.
    Try registering the extended stored procedure again by running the following:

- sp_dropextendedproc sqlbackup
    - sp_addextendedproc sqlbackup, 'xp_sqlbackup.dll'
    - EXEC master..sqlbackup

Do you still encounter the same error? If the same error is raised, try the following to determine if xp_sqlbackup.dll is really the problem:

- make a copy of xp_sqlbackup.dll in the Binn folder. Name it xp_sqlbackup_2.dll
    - sp_addextendedproc sqlbackup, 'xp_sqlbackup_2.dll'
    - EXEC master..sqlbackup

What happens? Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • petey wrote:
    Try registering the extended stored procedure again by running the following:

- sp_addextendedproc sqlbackup, 'xp_sqlbackup.dll'
    - EXEC master..sqlbackup

Do you still encounter the same error? If the same error is raised, try the following to determine if xp_sqlbackup.dll is really the problem:

- make a copy of xp_sqlbackup.dll in the Binn folder. Name it xp_sqlbackup_2.dll
    - sp_addextendedproc sqlbackup, 'xp_sqlbackup_2.dll'
    - EXEC master..sqlbackup

What happens? Thanks.

Same error. I must have a permission problem somewhere.

Cannot load the DLL xp_sqlbackup2.dll, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason: 1114(A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed.).

To add, this on on a windows 2000 server w/ sql 2000 SP3. I have 2 other windows 2003 servers R2 w/ SQL 2005 SP1 and they had no problems.
    Could you pls run Dependency Walker on xp_sqlbackup.dll and see if it flags any DLLs as missing? Also, does Dependency Walker flag the DLL as being the right bitness i.e. if you are running 32 bit SQL Server, is xp_sqlbackup.dll also a 32 bit DLL? There are 3 variants of xp_sqlbackup.dll, 32-bit, 64-bit and Itanium. I was just wondering if perhaps the installer has installed the wrong variant.

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Here is what it alerts. I doubt anything important.
    Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.
    Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.

The only thing showing as questionable seems to be some apphelp.dll file. That is why i said probably not important. There are two other things that are marked w/ an hourglass, DBGHelp.dll and MPR.dll. I never used this tool before so I am unsure of what that means.

The version of the DLL is "5.2.0.2825". I dont see any flags about it being the wrong bit version.
    Are you running a 32-bit SQL Server, or 64-bit? Could you please send me the xp_sqlbackup.dll, to the email address in my profile?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Just to complete my part of this thread, a reboot of the SQL Server fixed the issue.
  • Hi! I wanna recommand you something I found and I use after I had many problems with my antivirus version 7 It's an old version but it's better than the new one