Options

VDI error 1000: Failed to create virtual device

joshsackettjoshsackett Posts: 5
edited July 20, 2007 11:55AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi all,
I've scanned other topics but have been unable to find a resolution to my problem.

Environment:
Windows 2000 Advanced Server
SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition
Server name = P245SQL02
SQL instance name = P245SQLI02
SQL Backup v5.1.0.2781

When running a full database backup through either the GUI or QA I receive the error:

VDI error 1000: Failed to create virtual device. Check that the SQL Server instance you are trying to connect to is running. Error code: (-2139684857: Failed to recognize the SQL Server instance name.)

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    If you were to use the command line interface, does the backup succeed ? E.g.
    sqlbackupc -sql "BACKUP DATABASE model TO DISK = 'c:\model.sqb' " -i P245SQLI02

Note that you need to run this on the server itself. Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    Yes, that worked correctly.
  • Options
    When connected to the P245SQLI02 instance using QA, does running the following create a backup?
    EXEC master..sqlbackup '-sql "BACKUP DATABASE model TO DISK = [c:\model.sqb] WITH INIT" '

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Options
    No, same error as above.
  • Options
    I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to log the SQL Backup Agents' internal processes. Could you pls send me the resulting log? Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Options
    The solution:

I do not run the service under LocalSystem, I had created another Windows authenticated user (with domain privileges) as I copy the database backup to a shared folder on the network.

I had to go in and add this user to the Administrators group on the server.