Options

Multiple Thread Backup Issue – SQBHEADERONLY Never Completes

dsharpe2dsharpe2 Posts: 5
edited July 2, 2007 9:32PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
When I make a multiple threaded backup of a large database 240 GB + and run RESTORE SQBHEADERONLY it never completes.

Example syntax:
master..sqlbackup N'-SQL "RESTORE SQBHEADERONLY FROM DISK = ''I:\MSSQL\Backup\FULL_XXXXXXXXXX_XXXXXXXXXXXXX _20070702_012728.sqb'' '

If I create a backup that is single threaded the command executes instantly. If I create a multiple threaded backup of a smaller database it also completes instantly.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Comments

• Options
    marclallenmarclallen Posts: 53 Bronze 3
    Sounds like this issue.

If so, it's a known problem to be fixed in 5.2

Marc
  • Options
    It could be the same except that with the other proble it did come back later. In this case it does not ever seem to come back or it is taking so long as to make it about the same thing.

I created another backup that was single threaded and added the verify option to it. This was started an hour or so after the original SQBHEADERONLY had started. The single threaded job completed the backup and verify and the SQBHEADERONLY was still running.

I finally killed the SQBHEADERONLY a few hours later.

At this point we have all our backups running single threaded as the risk of data loss is a little too high. :(
  • Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Running RESTORE SQBHEADERONLY reads only the first 1024 bytes from the backup file. Could you pls send me that portion of the file? If you need a utility to do that, you can use this:

http://www.yohz.com/downloads/HeaderExtractor.zip
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8