SQLCompare 6 and Installshield

Tim BrewerTim Brewer Posts: 5
edited June 27, 2007 10:47AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I am having a problem integrating SQLCompare 6 into an Installshield package. I have created a Custom Action which executes an executable stored in the binary table. I have also supplied the command line.

In the binary table I have assigned all the dlls, mods, configs, etc that are indicated in the documentation

However, when I run the intall package I get the following message:

An unhandled exception of type 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' occurred in Unknown Module.

Addition information: Could not load a file or assembly 'RedGate.CommandLine.Common, Version=6.0.0.95, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f46a1c156d4d57' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

I also have put the snapshot file that I am using to do the compare with in the binary table so that it would be available to the command execution.

When using the SQLPackager in Installshield, I had to modify the Template as indicated in your forum to make it work, it seemed to have the same problem as the SQLCompare before I did that.

Is the SQLCompare usable from Installshield or will I have to use the snippet code to generate my own executable to perform this function. I had rather use the one supplied by Red Gate.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

I would imagine the Packager problem was slightly different. The issue with packages is that they cannot be renamed because of some hard-coded assembly names in the code template. When Windows Installer runs custom actions, they could be run from a temporary directory with a temporary name.

In this case, it looks like the Installer is renaming one of the dependent assemblies needed by SQLCompare. I can't vouch for InstallShield, but I have been successful in using the commandline application in a Visual Studio Deployment Project by instructing it to create a subfolder in the TempFolder location and running SQLCompare from that location.

Hopefully a similar solution will get this working in InstallShield.