Options

Completed Backup stuck in "In Progress" queue

marclallenmarclallen Posts: 53 Bronze 3
edited April 2, 2008 12:53PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
In testing a new backup, I was backing up all databases on an SQL server. The final database (msdb) is still stuck in the "In Progress" queue, even though the backup did complete successfully, as represented by the "Activity History" queue. In the timeline chart, it shows up as "Finishing". Also, the "Activity History" shows it as completing with a 21MB (or so), but the "In Progress" line has it at only 15MB.

I only have one SQL Backup connection at the moment, and it's periodically pulling the time.

Is there somewhere else I should look to fix this?

Will upgrading to 5.1 fix it? I just got 5.0 and finally got around to installing it last week.

Thanks,

Marc

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

Restarting the GUI should fix this.

It's rare that this can occur but the Activity history didn't manage to match up the item from the in progress list in order for it to disappear from the in progress list. If you relaunch the GUI it will show this as a completed backup.
    Helen Joyce
    SQL Backup Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

Actually, I did give it a shot, but as I was in the middle of a ad-hoc backup, the GUI closed, except for a window saying that it would close when the backup was completed. Now, of course, I can't get the GUI back.

I'll try to remember this next time, but I would suggest an alert/question dialog before exiting when ad-hoc actions are still in progress.

Thanks,

Marc
  • Options
    Yep. That did it. Thanks.

Marc
  • Options
    Hi Marc,

If you hit Cancel on that "SQL Backup is closing" dialog, it'll restore the GUI's main window so you can carry on working. I know it's not much help, but..;)

All the best,

Dan
  • Options
    Ah... I thought that 'CANCEL' would terminate the backup or whatever it was doing. The cancel just cancels the closing of the GUI?

Marc
  • Options
    I am having this problem as well. There are backups showing in progress even though they are not running on the server. There are 9 of them right now appearing as if the backup is running 24/7 even though it is not running at all (except normal scheduled runs). I have closed the GUI several times as this has been occuring even over a few days before I researched the GUI problem. Any thoughts? I am on the latest version of SQL Backup, 5.0.3.178.
  • Options
    I am seeing this issue now running 5.3.0.178 with jobs with VERIFY. I have the GUI open and when the job submitted by SQL Agent starts it shows as a Job under the In Progress tab. When it is running the processed amount goes up. If I look in the file folder where the backup is being written to and then note when the filesize shows a number I can now see the job under the Activity History tab as well as the In progress tab.

If I look at the Jobs View History in SQL Agent is shows completed yet it is still visible under the In Progress tab.

I tried the same without the VERIFY and just after the filesize showed in the folder it disappeared from the In Progress tab and showed up in both the Activity History tab and the SQL Agent View History.

Maybe this is a problem with VERIFY.

Chris
    English DBA living in CANADA
  • Options
    Just to add to my post after the last post, I also use VERIFY in all my backups.