Options

Backup mirrorfile and copyto do not seem to work as expected

Jerrys0812Jerrys0812 Posts: 13
edited June 10, 2007 5:14AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I have SQLBackup running under a scheduler that has SYSAdmin rights on the source server as well as the mirrorfile server and the copyto server. I used URL formed paths ( \\servername\D$\backupdir\dbname.sqb ) and I keep getting a message that it failed to create backup folder. I then tried the shared folder method and it does not show the folers in the "network" view when I press the ... button. I am running the 5.1 version of the engine that I download and updated with yesterday. How do I make this work? Also, can you give the the URL to the product documentation? I can't find it on your website.
Jerry Sommerville
IS Support, DBA
Crown Equipment Corp

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Jerry,

SQL Backup's I/O is all done using the SQL Backup Agent, which is a Windows Service that is installed on the SQL Server computer. Given this, it's important that the logon account for the service is a Windows Domain user who has read/write access to your share. Thie is true regardless of which user is actually using the SQL Backup interface.

Please feel free to browse the SQL Backup documentation on-line here:

http://help.red-gate.com/help/SQLBackup ... Backup.htm
  • Options
    Brian -

I am aware of that. The login used is a domain account with SysAdmin rights. I have other MS Sql Server jobs (not red-gate) doing the same thing and it works just fine. We are migrating away from SQL Server native to Red-Gate and discovered this error. I even added the target server with the ... button (the shares were setup) and it still fails. The path then looks like \\servername\sharename\dbbackup.sqb. Any other suggestions? We are about to resort to a singe copy of the backup and then use robocopy to clone the copy.
    Jerry Sommerville
    IS Support, DBA
    Crown Equipment Corp
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Jerry,

SQL Backup may not be able to access the share because of an issue in the software caused by an inability to parse LANMAN-style logins. Can you try changing the SQL Backup Agent's account to a UPN format (user@domain.com) and restart it, then try setting up the backup job again?

This has worked once here.