Options

Error acquiring mutex

igaydosigaydos Posts: 3
edited July 17, 2007 12:01PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I upgrade from v4 to v5.1 with no luck. I removed SQL Backup, rebooted, re-installed v5.1 cleanly. The service fails to start at the end of installation process. I tried starting in the service mmc but the service fails to respond in a timely fashion (error 1053). I am running SQL2000 SP4. I tried using the Local System account as the service account.
If I switch the SQL Backup service account to be an administrator account, the service will start but I cannot connect using the SQL Backup GUI. When attempting to connect I get error acquiring mutex.

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Could you pls run a test backup manually, and post any error message you encounter here e.g.
    EXEC master..sqlbackup '-sql "BACKUP DATABASE model TO DISK = [c:\model.sqb] WITH INIT" '

Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    I ran backup manually as requested. It worked. Below is output; however, I still cannot connect using the GUI running on the server. I get the following error from the gui:

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Backing up model (full database) on PASCRSQLPROD01 instance to:
    c:\model.sqb

Database size : 1.875 MB
    Compressed data size: 54.500 KB
    Compression rate : 97.16%

Processed 80 pages for database 'model', file 'modeldev' on file 1.
    Processed 1 pages for database 'model', file 'modellog' on file 1.
    BACKUP DATABASE successfully processed 81 pages in 0.063 seconds (10.418 MB/sec).
    SQL Backup process ended.
  • Options
    Hi there,

If this is a genuine timeout due to a slow or busy server, you may be able to mitigate the situation by changing the default timeouts for that server. If you edit the server's connection properties and go to the second tab, you can change the timeouts there.

Adjusting them down is not necessarily a good plan, as it can lead to failures purely due to low values. But adjusting them up for cases where timeouts are occurring is certainly worth a go.

I hope this helps,

All the best,

Dan

Dan J Archer
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    We purchased 10 licenses for Red-Gate Backup and are receiving this same error on one of our servers. The GUI reports "Error opening mutex." and the service on the server simply sits on starting. Trying to start the service from the service manager reports an error "Error 1053: the Service did not respond in a timely fashion" The service stays on Starting status until you go to Task Manager and end task SQBCoreService.exe.

This is one of our main servers so we would like to get it running on our Red-Gate backup strategy as soon as possible.
    Are there any log files I can look at, there are no errors in the event log from SQL Backup.

Thanks
  • Options
    I've sent you a private message on how to enable logging for the SQL Backup Agent service. Try that and send me the resulting log. Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Options
    JRussells' issue has been addressed. The SQL Backup Agent service failed to start because it was not started with the -I parameter for the SQL Server named instance it was serving.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software