Data Compare Crashing

alexstyleralexstyler Posts: 22
I'm a developer edit and we just recently purchased 10 toolbelts. I'm working on an application using your API toolkit, and I wanted to get a feel for your Data Compare GUI tool.

When I run Data Compare, the splash screen comes up, and the program crashes at the splash screen after maybe 2 seconds.

Here's what I could gather:
An unhandled exception, "System.TypeInitializationException" , occured in RedGate.SQLDataCompare.UI.exe

The type initializer for '_122' threw an exception.

-Inner exception:
{"The type initializer for 'DevExpress.XtraGrid.GridControl' threw an exception."}

--InnerException (System.TypeLoadException), Source = "mscorlib"
{"Could not load type 'DevExpress.Utils.Design.DockingAttribute' from assembly 'DevExpress.Utils.v6.3, Version=6.3.1.0, Culture=neutral, ... '.":"DevExpress.Utils.Design.DockingAttribute"}

Yikes.

I'm thinking it's machine specific, I hate saying that, but judging from the source I'm guessing it's a corrupt .NET installation.

Just wondering if you have any insight to its cause, if it is some strange workaround you attempted or just that my .NET COR is messed up.

(A fresh install of all of my Red Gate components did not help.)

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Alex,

Thanks for your post. I think you are experiencing the problem caused when the .net 2.0 build of DevExpress components and the .NET 1.1 version which are used in SQL/Data Compare. DevExpress signed the two different version with the same key, and another piece of software has installed the wrong version into the Global Assembly Cache. .NET will always load from the GAC if the same components exist both there and in the local folder, which contains the assemblies that SQL/Data Compare are supposed to load.

In the short term, you could remove the DevExpress assemblies from %systemroot%\assembly and copy them to the local folder of the application that needs these versions (probably either ReSharper or NUnit?)

For more information please see here:

http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/vi ... c&start=15

Thanks!