Options

Deleting files STILL NOT WORKING

PowerwayPowerway Posts: 29
edited July 10, 2007 12:35PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I thought the problem with deleting files correctly with verify on was fixed in SQL Backup 5.1?

It's still not deleting files based on the rules in the job if Verify is ON.

This needs to be FIXED ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

Thanks for writing. Please make sure that you have applied the upgrade to the server components as well as installing the UI. If you've already done this, did you get any warnings from the server components? In particular, the one that mentions that you need to run DBCC sqlbackup (FREE). You may still have the old version of the stored procedure 'stuck' in the SQL Server memory.

Please let us know if you have any questions about this.
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks for writing. Please make sure that you have applied the upgrade to the server components as well as installing the UI. If you've already done this, did you get any warnings from the server components? In particular, the one that mentions that you need to run DBCC sqlbackup (FREE). You may still have the old version of the stored procedure 'stuck' in the SQL Server memory.

Please let us know if you have any questions about this.

Yes the server components hadn't been updated.

Thanks
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Thanks for writing back.

Is it all working now, including the fix for ERASEFILES?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Thanks for writing back.

Is it all working now, including the fix for ERASEFILES?

Thanks.

I'm getting ready to start my tests over with verify ON and the latest version. I'll let ya know on Monday
  • Options
    Same problem here...

Server Components are version 5.1.0.2781, SQL Server has been rebooted after the upgrade, so there shouldn't be anything left in SQL server memory.

Code I'm using:
    exec master..sqlbackup N'-SQL "BACKUP DATABASE [databasename] TO DISK = ''X:\SQL_DATA_BACKUP\<DATABASE>\<TYPE>\<DATABASE>_<TYPE>_<DATETIME YYYYmmdd_hhnnss>.sqb'' WITH COPYTO=''\\backupserver\SQL_DATA_BACKUP\<SERVER>\<DATABASE>\<TYPE>'',
    	FILEOPTIONS = 3, PASSWORD = ''XXXXX'', KEYSIZE = 128, ERASEFILES_ATSTART = 2, COMPRESSION = 1, THREADCOUNT = 3, VERIFY"', @exitcode OUTPUT, @sqlerrorcode OUTPUT

Old backup files are NOT deleted, no warnings or errors occur.

Tried without "VERIFY", but no success.
    Tried with "ERASEFILES" instead of the "ERASEFILES_ATSTART", no success either.
    I still have backup files from over a week ago in both the local backupfolder and the remote backup folder (despite ERASEFILES_ATSTART = 2).

Environment:
    Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2
    SQL Server Enterprise Edition v8.00.2039 (SP4)
    SQL Backup Standard Edition version 5.1.0.2781
    SQL Server, SQL Server Agent and SQL Backup services running as user with administrative rights (and as such have full access to both the local and the remote backup folder)

Oliver Drexler
  • Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Are the old files encrypted? If they are, they need to have been encrypted using the same password as the one you are using for the current backup, before they can be deleted.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    petey wrote:
    Are the old files encrypted? If they are, they need to have been encrypted using the same password as the one you are using for the current backup, before they can be deleted.

Yes, the files are all encrypted, the password hasn't changed. I'm using the same "PASSWORD=" parameter as before the update to v5.1:
    PASSWORD = ''<ENCRYPTEDPASSWORD>XXXXXXXXX</ENCRYPTEDPASSWORD>''

It worked like a charm with the old SQL Backup version 4.5.
  • Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    This issue has been resolved with gonamic. The reason the deletion was not performed was because 'FILETOPTIONS = 3' was used when the backup files never had their archive bit off.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8