Options

Automated Installation of SQL Backup V4.6 via command line

Hi All,

We have purchased a global licence for SQLBackup as we love the product and would like to add it to our automated installation process for SQL Server 2005 via the command line.

1)We would like to install the product
2)Check for upgrades
3)Register product with Redgate automaticall via the Internet.

Is there any was to automate the process
If we need to upgrade to any particular version then we will.

Thanks in advance.
Phil

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Phil,

Funny you should ask; I was in the process of writing up some procedures for this. It is possible to install the software silently. I know it is for v5, but I suspect the procedure works for v4 as well. To install SQL Backup silently, this is the command line:
    SqlBackupSetup.exe /S /V"INSTALLSTOREDPROCEDURE=\"\" /qn"

The next bit is to install the server components. After the console is installed on the local machine, a file called SQBServerSetup.exe is saved to the installation folder (c:\program files\red gate\sql backup\, by default). You can run SQBServerSetup.exe from there using these arguments:
    SQBServerSetup /verysilent /sqbminimal /i <instance name> /svcuser <user name> /svcpw <password> /sqluser <user name> /sqlpw <password> /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES 

svcuser = startup user account for service app.
    sqluser = SQL authentication user for service app.

Activating the server components needs to be done through the console or using the LicenceActivation.exe that is also installed into the SQL Backup folder. As far as I'm aware, this is a GUI only program and can't be automated.

SQB4 uses InstallShield Update Service to check for updates (v5 uses a home-grown version). I don't know of a way of automating it. At any rate, it displays a web page full of upgrade options that you must choose from. I suppose that if you wanted this to pop up, you could run:
    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\agent.exe" /au{171FFAF6-D910-475D-A80B-89E0FC206DBE} /AppMenu

I hope you're successful with this!