Log shipping between SQL2000 (pub) and SQL2005(sub)??

ctrawickctrawick Posts: 2
edited May 13, 2007 1:46PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Being new to the RedGate product line, I am wondering if someone can tell me if Backup Pro supports log shipping between a SQL2000 publisher and SQL2005 subscriber?

I know it's not possible natively, nor is it with Quest' Litespeed, but I wanted to check with RedGate.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Chris

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

I believe it should -- you can restore a SQL 2000 backup to a SQL 2005 server. Not the other way round, though!

Chances are if it doesn't work in Litespeed or native, it won't work in SQL Backup either. The limitation is on the SQL Server end, and third-party backup programs are still going to share any limitations imposed by the server platform.
  • You probably wont be able to put the databases in STANDBY to start with as SQL Server does not support RESTORE .. STANDBY and an upgrade but afterwards you can do it with NO RECOVERY.

I've never tried doing a full RESTORE with NO RECOVERY followed by a RESTORE WITH STANDBY followed by RESTORE LOG with STANDBY - this might be one way of setting up log shipping doing an upgrade with standby.

- James
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd