Options

Installation Bug

bill.wehnertbill.wehnert Posts: 27
edited May 10, 2007 12:24PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I had SQL 2000 & 2005 installed (diff instances) and installed the beta of SQL Backup 5.

Somewhere along the line, I got rid of SQL 2000 and today uninstalled the beta and installed the final release.

The SQL Backup Agent fails with "SQL Backup Agent startup error: VDI library not registered." and an error code of 660.

There is no VDI anything anywhere in the SQL 2005 directories. This looks like a hold over from 2000.

What do I need to do to make this work? I have rebooted, I have uninstalled and run a registry cleaner, rebooted and installed again - but same old same old.

I'm terrified to update my production server at this point. :(

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    SQL Backup uses the SQL Server Virtual Device Interface (VDI) library to communicate with SQL Server to perform backups and restores.

The VDI library is implemented as a set of COM interfaces, hence it requires registration. The library itself is contained in the sqlvdi.dll file. This is usually found in the <system drive>\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\COM folder if SQL Server 2000 was installed first.

In your case, when you later installed SQL Server 2005, the sqlvdi.dll library should have been replaced with a newer version. When you then uninstalled SQL Server 2000, the sqlvdi.dll file should not have been removed as it is a shared file.

First, check if the sqlvdi.dll file is registered on your system. Look for the classid {40700425-0080-11d2-851f-00c04fc21759} in the registry, under the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT node. If you do not find it, you will need to locate the sqlvdi.dll file on your system and register it manually e.g. regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\COM\sqlvdi.dll".

Note that SQL Backup never installs/uninstall nor register/unregister the VDI library. All it does is ensure that the VDI library has been registered, before the service will start.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    I don't have this directory "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\COM\" anymore. It looks like it went when I uninstalled SQL 2000.

Do I need to reinstall SQL 2000 now?

I also checked on that key and it's not in my registry.
  • Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Is there another copy of sqlvdi.dll lying somewhere, perhaps installed by SQL Server 2005? If so, you can register that copy.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    this file doesn't exist anywhere on my machine. :(
  • Options
    Good news - I found that I can get this by installing one of the Feature Pack products.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... layLang=en

This is the actual product needed, it's the Backward Compatability Pack:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... 005_BC.msi

Any plans on rewriting this so that it supports SQL 2005 natively? Or at least doesn't rely on SQL 2000 tool sets? I'm sure that it's because I uninstalled SQL 2000 that I lost this file. I wonder how many other people will loose this when then uninstall SQL2k from their machines?

At least it seems to be working - the SQL Backup Agent software started, so that's a good thing. :)