Options

RedGate Licensing Issue

keithrkeithr Posts: 16 Bronze 2
Currently, we use the Toolkit to do database compares for our database maintenance program. We are in the process of upgrading that project from VS 2003 to VS 2005, but I am running into an issue, where with the same set of installed files the 2005 app prompts for an activation key for RedGate, while the original app doesn't.

Our current version is 5.0 (SQL.Compare.Engine.DLL 5.0.0.2092)

Any thoughts as to what I am doing wrong in the setup of the 2005 project?
Keith Rupert
Software Developer
Local Government Division
Tyler Technologies, Inc.
P: 888.654.3293 ext. 175111
www.tylertech.com

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

Assuming you are talking about the finished application asking for a serial number rather than asking for a serial number at build-time, the culprit is the licenses.licx file. It's either not present in the VS2005 project as an embedded resource or it doesn't have the right information inside. You can see the format for a .licx file in the SQL Toolkit help file.

If you get prompted for a serial number when you build the project, then the licx file is correct, the licensing will work and the executable that you've built will now run without asking for a serial number.
  • Options
    keithrkeithr Posts: 16 Bronze 2
    Sorry, I meant to post an update to the topic yesterday.

The lines in the Licenses.licx related to Red-Gate weren't getting updated. I was able to manually update the licx file with the Red-Gate information and everything is now working properly.

Thank you for your suggestion. Though I can't find that file on the server we have 5.0 registered for (SQL Compare & Data Compare have bothe been activated on that machine)
    Keith Rupert
    Software Developer
    Local Government Division
    Tyler Technologies, Inc.
    P: 888.654.3293 ext. 175111
    www.tylertech.com