problem running SQL Log Rescue

tony_htony_h Posts: 10
edited June 5, 2007 4:37AM in SQL Log Rescue
First time user and first install.

Installed SQL Log Rescue 1.2 today and when I run it and go through the create new recovery project, I get stuck.

After LR reads the backups and analyzes them, I click Next. I get the following database error message:

Cannot load the DLL xp_LogRecue.dll, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason: 126(The specified module could not be found.).

Anyone see this before and can tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Tony

Sorry that you are getting this error.

I suspect that the Log Rescue Extended Stored Procedure has not installed correctly or not installed at all on the SQL Server you are trying to analyse.

From the Tools Menu -> Select Install Extended Stored Procedure and follow the instructions that appear on screen.

The xp_LogRescue.dll file should get installed into your SQL Server's BINN folder:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Binn

or

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$<instance_name>\Binn
    where <instance_name> is the name of your SQL Server Instance.

Eddie Davis
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    Technical Support
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • The file is there and looks as though it has been there since the initial install.

xp_LogRescue.dll exists at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Binn.

The server has been restarted and I am still getting this same error. Any other ideas.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Tony,

Can you please try performing a manual installation of xp_logrescue on the server?

The instructions are here:

http://www.red-gate.com/help/sqllogresc ... rvers.html

Scroll to the bottom and you will see the manual installation procedure.

Thanks!
  • Maybe I am supposed to know this already, but when I log in to the database server using Remote Desktop (the server is behind a locked door, to which, I don't have the key), launch query analyzer and write the line below:

exec sp_addextendproc 'xp_LogRescue', 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Binn\xp_LogRescue.dll'

I get the following message:

Server: Msg 2812, Level 16, State 62, Line 1
    Could not find stored procedure 'sp_addextendproc'.

I didn't perform the install of SQL Server. Was there something not installed or am I missing something?
    Thanks for pointing this out and I'm sorry that the help file has a typo. It should read sp_addextendedproc.
  • Sorry I didn't notice that.

When I run the corrected name I get the following error:

Server: Msg 2714, Level 16, State 7, Procedure sp_addextendedproc, Line 26
    There is already an object named 'xp_LogRescue' in the database.

Looks like it is already installed. Anything else to try?
    Hi Tony,

Can you try this query and see if xp_logrescue works from Query Analyzer?
    DECLARE @logfilename nchar&#40;261&#41; 
    DECLARE @challange int 
    set @challange = 12345 
    DECLARE @minFileID int 
    set @minFileID = 0 
    SET @logfilename  = &#40;select top 1 filename from 
    &lt;name of database&gt;..sysfiles1  where &#40;status & 0x40&#41; !=0&#41; 
    SET @logfilename  = RTRIM&#40;@logfilename&#41; + '*' 
    exec master..xp_LogRescue @challange, @logfilename , @minFileID

Remember to replace <name of database> with the name of a database that you want to analyze. This should return one small row of information if it works properly.
  • When I put this in Query Analyzer:

DECLARE @logfilename nchar(261)
    DECLARE @challange int
    set @challange = 12345
    DECLARE @minFileID int
    set @minFileID = 0
    SET @logfilename = (select top 1 filename from
    CR_PPM..sysfiles1 where (status & 0x40) !=0)
    SET @logfilename = RTRIM(@logfilename) + '*'
    exec master..xp_LogRescue @challange, @logfilename , @minFileID

I get this result:
    ODBC: Msg 0, Level 16, State 1
    Cannot load the DLL xp_LogRescue.dll, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason: 126(The specified module could not be found.).

I double-checked the file location and found the dll (xp_LogRescue.dll) here:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Binn

I really appreciate all of your help.
  • I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but I thought I should mention it. I installed the software remotely using Remote Desktop Connection. I was not logged in using the \console switch.

Would this affect anything?
    It shouldn't make any difference; installing the extended stored procedure is a thing that is specific to the SQL Server, you wouldn't need to worry that the application is available to all terminal services users.

What happens when you

exec sp_helpextendedproc 'xp_logrescue'
  • Switching to text output so I can paste here...

name dll

xp_LogRescue xp_LogRescue.dll
    You're not using a 64-bit version of SQL Server, are you? xp_logrescue.dll is 32-bit code and isn't going to work on a 64-bit edition of SQL Server.
  • I don't think so. I think the 64-bit version of 2000 requires specific hardware (Intel Itanium - maybe, don't remember exactly).

I don't know if this clarifies but when I run the following statement in QA:
    SELECT SERVERPROPERTY&#40;'productversion'&#41;, SERVERPROPERTY 
    &#40;'productlevel'&#41;, SERVERPROPERTY &#40;'edition'&#41;

I get these results

8.00.760 SP3 Standard Edition

Database administration is performed by 2 people. One configures the hardware and software, and I manage the data (also a developer).
    How about this:

exec sp_dropextendedproc 'xp_LogRescue'
    DBCC xp_LogRescue (FREE)
    *copy your xp_LogRescue.dll to the SQL Server's BINN directory (C:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql\Binn)
    exec sp_addextendedproc 'xp_LogRescue', 'xp_LogRescue.dll'
  • Same error.

After I ran through your first two lines, the xp_LogRescue.dll file was still in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Binn folder. I copied it from C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Log Rescue and over-wrote the existing one in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Binn.

There were no errors after running any of the lines you show (I pasted them from the browser).
    Hi Tony,

With version 1.2, you have a new option to pull the transactions from the backup files without using the live log. It doesn't look like you'll be able to get xp_logrescue to work. Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Anyone else is welcome to pitch in!