Options

How to profile a Remoting based server app.

We have a GUI application which talks to a server side IIS based application using remoting (with a binary formatter). While I can just use a EXE to profile the client app, the corresponding server side does not get invoked/profiled.

I understand that you do not support simultaneous profiling of a client & server app, but if I was just using a server side profiler invocation, how would I profile it in that case.

I cannot use ASP option, because I need to provide inputs to this app. (Unless I write a dummy HTML page which sends known/hardcoded inputs)

What do I do? Please explain with an example.[/b]

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

I'm sorry that we don't have a specific example for this. You should be able to profile a remoting object hosted in IIS by profiling the web application on the web server. Then you can make your calls as normal from the remoting client, which will invoke the methods and properties of the remoting object hosted in IIS.

Not having tried it myself, though, I'm not aware if there is anything that would cause the profiling to fail. I'd be interested to know how well this works!

I could examine this further in the future and add it to my list of potential white papers.
  • Options
    Hi,

As Brian suggests, you should be able to profile your server as an ASP.NET web application, then point your client application at it as normal.

The only slight caveat (and the reason for my reply) is that if you're hosting it on IIS 6, or IIS 7 and have chosen the "profile on a new port" option, you'll need to modify your client slightly to point it at the new port (8013 by default). Otherwise, your client will be talking to the instance of the server that isn't being profiled, rather than the one that is.

If you're hosting it under IIS 5, then you shouldn't have to make any changes at all - it should all "just work"!

Hope that helps,
    Robert
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate