Can't profile application in production, but can locally...

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

Off the top of my head, it looks like a communications problem between the profiler core component and the UI. This communication takes place over TCP port 8084. Is the computer allowing connections on this port, and are you certain that no other application is already using it? You can check the latter using the netstat utility from a command prompt:

netstat -a -n

If you find something is listening on the port, you can use netstat -a -b to get the process ID.
  • Hi,

Just to confirm- are you running ANTS Profiler on the production server as well, or are you running it on a machine remote from the server, and attempting to profile a site remotely? If so, I'm afraid this isn't supported - you'll need to be running ANTS on the same host as the instance of IIS that you're profiling.

If you already are doing this, obviously that isn't the problem, in which case I'd go with Brian's thoughts of possible firewall issues - ports 8084 and 8086 are both required, though only to the local machine's IP address, not the entire network.

Hope that helps,
    Robert
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate
  • rogermoore13rogermoore13 Posts: 5 Bronze 2
    edited May 5, 2019 5:13AM
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

The basic problem seems to be a socket connect timeout. This is usually because the port is in use (we've covered that), the machine is blocking connections to that port for other reasons (firewall, port filter, anti-virus), and there is still a possibility that the connection request is going to the wrong computer. This could be caused by a misconfigured DNS or a bad entry in the computer's hosts file.
  • It appears that DNS is fine - I'm hitting the website via localhost. This works within a browser w/o ANTS attached.

Could the firewall come into play while attempting to profile a local application with ANTS?