Options

Crash startup on windows vista

Hi,
Windows vista (dutch) , vs.net 2005

An unhandled exception of type 'System.TypeInitializationException' occurred in RedGate.Profiler.UI.exe

Additional information: De type-initialisatiefunctie voor _45 heeft een uitzondering veroorzaakt.

I can't start ants profiler from neither the vs.net add-in nor the external GUI.
Any ideas?

Note: I have vs.net 2005 + "sp1 for windows vista"

Event Viewer log:
An unhandled exception ('System.TypeInitializationException') occurred in RedGate.Profiler.UI.exe [6436]. Just-In-Time debugging this exception failed with the following error: Het vereiste imitatieniveau is niet geleverd of het geleverde imitatieniveau is ongeldig. Check the documentation index for 'Just-in-time debugging, errors' for more information.

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

We'll need to check our build logs to see what '_45' does. I'll look into it tomorrow. Thanks for the information, though, that's really helpful.
  • Options
    I'm also getting this error on startup. Choosing to debug won't let me see the code obviously but it does give some info on the exception and InnerException.

The exception itself seems a little odd. The only line in the stack trace appears to be the app entry point, but according to the message, the static constructor for _45 threw the exception.
    No doubt it will make all kinds of sense once you decode the obfuscation :)
    System.TypeInitializationException was unhandled
      Message="The type initializer for '_45' threw an exception."
      Source="RedGate.Profiler.UI"
      TypeName="_45"
      StackTrace:
           at _49._1(String[] )

And here's the InnerException
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
      Message="The handle is invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070006 (E_HANDLE))"
      ErrorCode="-2147024890"
      StackTrace:
         at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
         at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHR(Int32 errorCode)
         at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.FreeHGlobal(IntPtr hglobal)
         at _7._2()
         at _7._1()
         at RedGate.Licensing.Client.Licence._1(Int32 , String , Int32 , Int32 , String )
         at RedGate.Licensing.Client.Licence.GetLicence(Int32 productCode, String productName, Int32 majorVersion, Int32 minorVersion)
         at _45._1()
         at RedGate.Profiler.UI.StartPageControl._4()
         at RedGate.Profiler.UI.StartPageControl..ctor()
         at _22..ctor()
         at _45..cctor()

• Options
    Can I ask, do you have a network card installed (and I don't mean a virtual loopback interface)? I've had a look at the code and seen a possible problem in the logic. Also if you don't have a network card do you have a modem connection (PPP or SLIP)? In all can you tell me all the connections you have in your Network Connections in Control Panel.

One thing to try is also to run ANTS Profiler as administrator to see if it's a permissions problem, especially if you're on vista.

Hope this helps and that you had a good Easter :)
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Options
    I believe we've discovered the problem :)
    I have 2 NICs, both are built into my motherboard. I am only using one of them. I also keep a VPN tunnel (PPP) opened most of the time from home (where I am now) to work. If I disconnect the VPN, ANTS loads up without a problem.
    Just to be sure, I connected the VPN again and it crashed.

Glad its working, your software is top-notch and I definitely prefer it over the others I've tried over the last few days (I was able to evaluate ANTS at work). I think you can expect a payment from us tomorrow. Or today rather ;)
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    That makes sense. Apparently there is some code to get MAC addresses in '_45'.
  • Options
    ctlajoie wrote:
    If I disconnect the VPN, ANTS loads up without a problem.

Exactly. That fixed my problem. So basically if you have a vpn connection on it will not start.
  • Options
    genwise wrote:
    ctlajoie wrote:
    If I disconnect the VPN, ANTS loads up without a problem.

Exactly. That fixed my problem. So basically if you have a vpn connection on it will not start.

That is exactly the problem we've seen. There is a patch available here that fixes it.
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd