Options

Trouble attaching in 2005

I have class libraries that are called by a Web services project running on port 8002. Normally to debug I start the service runing under Cassini and then run a command line code to call a service that runs a "job". That job has paramaters including the job # and that's how I can run different assemblies. I'm trying to profile an assemby that is run this way. In the previous version I was able add a local console project and call my service and debug the asp worker process.
I can't seem to find a way to do the same thing in 2005. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Tom,

I don't completely understand your question -- is this about attaching to an already-running process? ANTS Profiler needs to start the process itself to be able to profile it. To profile a web service, you select the option to profile an ASP .NET web application, then blissfully ignore the web browser that pops up and use whatever application that is the consumer for the webservice.

So it doesn't matter really to Profiler how the webservice code is called.

If it helps, the 'Cassini' support is now native in Profiler 3, the option to use the debugging webserver. If you need to pass special arguments to webdev.webserver (used to be Cassini), then you can call it manually, as explained here:

http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/vi ... php?t=3472

Hopefully this is helpful!