Options

Crash on startup

wisewwisew Posts: 8 Bronze 2
I installed Ants 3.0 to check it out and see about upgrading from 2. Everytime I run it the splash screen shows and then the program crashes. I have tried creating the logs directory seen is other posts and nothing gets written there. I have also run fuslogvw.exe when it starts up and there are no binding failures. I'm runnig Vista 32 ultimate with uac on. I have tried with UAC on and off and in standard user mode and administrator mode. Thoughts or help is greatly appericated.

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

I'm not sure exactly what would be causing this, but there's a couple of things you could try:

- Try disabling a local firewall, if you have one running. Specifically, ANTS uses port 8084 to communicate internally, and 8086 as well when profiling ASP.NET web applications.
    - Try deleting the ANTS Profiler 3 registry key - this can be found under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Red Gate\ANTS Profiler\3, I think.
    - There's always the old favourite, if you haven't tried it already - reboot your machine. This shouldn't be required, but in one or two cases, it has solved some problems other people have had.

If you still aren't having any luck, I wonder if you could give me some more information:

- Do you have IIS installed on that machine?
    - Which versions of the .NET Framework are installed?
    - Is Visual Studio installed? Which version(s)?

Having UAC on really shouldn't cause you any problems - we designed it to work with UAC in both standard and administrator mode.

Hope that helps,
    Robert
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate
  • Options
    wisewwisew Posts: 8 Bronze 2
    Tried all of this and added a uninstall and reboot with reinstall and reboot and then run. No luck.

- Do you have IIS installed on that machine?
    Yes
    - Which versions of the .NET Framework are installed?
    1.1, 2.0 and 3.0
    - Is Visual Studio installed? Which version(s)?
    Yes, 2005.
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the response, and sorry it hasn't helped so far. Another thing might be to check the Windows Event Log to see if anything gets recorded there?

Do you get any error messages from ANTS Profiler when it crashes, or is it just a standard "application has terminated unexpectedly" type error?

Thanks,
    Rob
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

This sounds like a standard runtime failure in .NET that could happen in any managed program. By default, the runtime wants to launch a debugger (that won't help unless Robert wants to hand out the source code!)

You should be able to get the runtime to log a stack trace into the application log if you set the registry key:

HKLM/Software/Microsoft/.NetFramework/DbgJITDebugLaunchSetting

to a value of 1 (or 0x01). Here is some more information:

http://blogs.msdn.com/shawnfa/archive/2 ... 84490.aspx
  • Options
    No need to do anything special to obtain a stack trace. Just run the app under a debugger. I posted my stack trace in the other thread on this subject
  • Options
    I've posted a reply in the other thread
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
This discussion has been closed.