Cannot connect to databases thru VPN

jimkielyjimkiely Posts: 4
edited April 6, 2007 11:01AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I can not connect to the Server thru my VPN Connection.

I have tried the ip address and the name.

I can connect to the server using Sql Server Management Studio using the ip address.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

More than likely, you would need to specify the IP address, unless you use the DNS at the other end of your VPN. So this would require you to type in the name of the server into the server box.

Given the nature of some VPNs, you may also need to make sure that the software is using a TCP connection rather than named pipes (NETBIOS) because this is probably blocked. You can do this by prefacing the server name with 'TCP:', ie:

TCP:127.0.0.1

Hopefully this will get it to work.
  • TCP:127.0.0.1 did n't work either. My vpn connection, port control, is wide open. I use the ip address to get into the databases via sql studio, so I know that using the ip address is on the right track.

If this helps, I'm using a Symantec Enterprise VPN Client.

Any other ideas?
    It could be the .NET Framework, version 1.1 We have had some reports of problems with ADO .NET's choice of network libraries in this version. You may want to try forcing SQL Compare to use the 2.0 runtime instead, because it has much more robust network support.

To do this, locate the SQL Bundle 5 folder (usually in c:\program files), right-click in there, select new->Text file, and paste in the following content:
    <configuration>
    <startup>
    <supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727"/>
    </startup>
    </configuration>
    Save the file as 'RedGate.SQLCompare.UI.exe.config'. If you want to do the same for Data Compare, make a copy of this file and call it 'RedGate.SQLDataCompare.UI.exe.config'.

If this still gives you trouble, please let me know.
  • Thanks Brian, that worked.
    Excellent!