Options

Query Analyzer will randomly decide not to load

istomtomistomtom Posts: 8
edited June 28, 2007 2:25PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
With SQLPrompt 3 running I'd say 20 percent of the time QA will not load. If I shut down SQLPrompt it loads just fine.

I can see the process isqlw.exe start and consume memory but the application window does not appear.

XP Pro SQL 2000

Seems to happen randomly and is quite annoying.

Need to resolve ASAP, thanks folks!

Comments

• Options
    Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    OK thanks. Sorry to see you're having problems. We'll take a look into it but we've never seen this problem so if you could provide us with a few more details that would be helpful. E.g. what service pack version of XP and SQL Server are you running? Do you log in as admin, power user etc? What is the build number of SQL Prompt (check in the About dialog acessible via SQL Prompt > About)?

Also what type of CPU are you using (dual core, hyperthreading etc)?

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • Options
    SQLPrompt v3.0.0.868

I am not running sql server locally, just the toolset (QA, EM, etc). My QA version is 8.00.194

XP Pro SP2

I connect to a remote SQL server via an alias to a machine via our VPN but I don't see how this is relevant as the QA app window doesn't even display.

Thank you
  • Options
    Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    Hi there,

I think I know what this is: SQL Prompt 3.0.0.868 attempts to connect to servers when it doesn't need to in order to verify the SQL Server version they are running. If some/all of these servers are not available, or if your alias is improperly configured it will hang, waiting for the timeout period, and I suspect this is why QA is periodically hanging.

SQL Prompt 3.1 should fix this issue and will be released later today. My suggestion is therefore that you check back here for an announcement later (there's already an early access announcement but I'll be taking that down later when the final version is released).

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • Options
    I can no longer use sqlprompt, with it running I can NEVER get QA to load. The process shows in the list of processes but the window never materializes.
  • Options
    Was it working before or has it just stopped working? If it has stopped working then it might be a problem with the settings files. If you rename the directory

C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR_USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 3

To somethnig like "SQL Prompt 3 OLD" and see if it works. If that fails to help what version of QA analyzer(It is in the help about dialog)
    Software Engineer
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    I wish I had known about this sooner. I killed sqlprompt, renamed the directory, restarted, reset my options, and migrated my snippets xml file from the old directory and it's working just fine now. Thank you.

-Tom