Options

Improvements for Cache Management

EsioNEsioN Posts: 103
edited July 18, 2007 10:06AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Hello.
    It will be nice you put the time in column Last Cached, in Cache Management window.
    Maybe a hot key or something like this, to cancel a caching process for a wrong big database
    Maybe a hot key or someting like this to invoke Refresh cache function, without need to go to Cache window

Ésio

Comments

• Options
    Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    Hi Esio,

Thanks for the suggestions. We're hoping to be able to look at some of these for the next version.

Cheers,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • Options
    An amazing improvement with the cache would be to recache changes made to views after the view is called up via auto complete and displays the full text of the view.

currently the view will be of the last cached text of the view - wether it was just changed a few minutes ago or not
  • Options
    "Maybe a hot key or someting like this to invoke Refresh cache function, without need to go to Cache window"

I look forward to this enhancement very much!

/torvaldson
  • Options
    waiting the hotkey too! and the ability only cache selective databases.
  • Options
    Some other thoughts on the cache management which I dont know if you have had before, but it would be really nice it you can make it asynchronous, so you can minimise the window and keep working.

I work remotely and we have enough objects that waiting for the cache refresh takes too long. You could take it further and background update the cache regularly, is there anyway that you could just update items that have changed by default?
  • Options
    Hi there Paulo,

This already works, although not in quite the way you suggest. If you want to refresh everything in the background so you can carry on working you can just click "Refresh All" and then "Close" on the cache management window.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • Options
    I would love a HOT KEY to refresh the cache. The auto reload on every new query window is too intrusive, especially since the default database is rarely the one I use. Instead I disable to auto-reload... but hence need to be able to HOT KEY as I update the structure.

WOULD LOVE A BETA OF THIS IF YOU CAN! :)

Thanks,

Sam
  • Options
    Your wish is my command. In SQL Prompt 3.5 we've added CTRL+SHIFT+D as a shortcut to refresh the current database. The shortcut's a little more obscure than you might like but there aren't that many going spare in SSMS.

The 3.5 release candidate is now available for download from:

http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/vi ... php?t=5263

There are also a load of other new features and enhancements so I'd recommend you give it a go.

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd