3.1 Feedback

dmdm Posts: 11
edited April 18, 2007 4:32PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Hi there,

I've just downloaded and installed 3.1 on Vista --works well!

A couple of small initial issues:
* After hitting JOIN I really want it to just show me tables related via a foreign key -- in 99.9999% of the time those are the tables I am interested in
* The tables on the inserted ON are prefixed by the schema, even though I've removed that option in the Options.

Comments

• Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    Hi there,

Thanks for posting. Glad it's working OK for you on Vista: it's one of the things we wanted to get properly sorted out for 3.1. The final 3.1 release should be available in the next couple of days which fixes a seriously annoying case-sensitivity bug when filtering objects by owner/schema.
    dm wrote:
    * After hitting JOIN I really want it to just show me tables related via a foreign key -- in 99.9999% of the time those are the tables I am interested in

That's fair. In fact we had somebody else ask about that a few days back. I'm sure we'll be adding that at some point in the future, although what we'll probably do is just show those tables at the top of the list rather than only showing them. With SQL Prompt 2 we had some complaints that you could ONLY see such tables, hence we derestricted the list but with everything else we had to do we didn't have time to refine the functionality further.
    dm wrote:
    * The tables on the inserted ON are prefixed by the schema, even though I've removed that option in the Options.

Is this just in the candidate list or after you've actually inserted the join condition into your script? Either way this sounds like a bug.

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • It was both in the candidate list and in the inserted text (after typing ON).

If you do show both related and unrelated tables after JOIN then perhaps show the unrelated tables in a different way (slightly different icon) .. although I'd prefer to have an option not to see the unrelated tables since they are irrelevent for the databases I work with.

Bart Read wrote:
    Hi there,

Thanks for posting. Glad it's working OK for you on Vista: it's one of the things we wanted to get properly sorted out for 3.1. The final 3.1 release should be available in the next couple of days which fixes a seriously annoying case-sensitivity bug when filtering objects by owner/schema.
    dm wrote:

That's fair. In fact we had somebody else ask about that a few days back. I'm sure we'll be adding that at some point in the future, although what we'll probably do is just show those tables at the top of the list rather than only showing them. With SQL Prompt 2 we had some complaints that you could ONLY see such tables, hence we derestricted the list but with everything else we had to do we didn't have time to refine the functionality further.
    dm wrote:

Is this just in the candidate list or after you've actually inserted the join condition into your script? Either way this sounds like a bug.

Thanks,
    Bart
  • Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    Hi dm,

We're planning to demarcate the groupings in the candidate list more explicitly so that should handle this issue if/when we get around to improving this behaviour.

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • dm wrote:

These are both on the top of my list too. I even made another post about the dbo. prefix (#2) issue above and contacted support (who have not yet responded to me). This behavior makes the tool less than useful for me because I don't want those things in my queries (it's just extra mess). The first issue with the joins, I wholeheartedly agree with. Our tables are keyed for a reason (I can't imagine why others NEED this feature so much but that's their business).
  • I've always loved SQLPrompt 2 and had relatively few problems with it. We decided to go with SQLPrompt 3 because of the added features and to address some of the shortcomings of version 2. I like version 3 BUT it does tend to hang in SQL Server Management Studio's query window and in SQL Server 2000 Query Analyzer where version 2 never did. This version obviously needs more horsepower than version 2 because it is, for lack of a better word, sluggish. I've used both versions on a plain old P4 2 Ghz with 1 Gb of RAM. I have seen other posts in about sluggish performace and hangups and crashes. I hope these issues can be resolved in the next release. This really puts a rather big blemish on an otherwise fine and incredibly useful tool.

Max
  • Running PromptSQL v3.1 on Windows Server 2003 QA -- buggy!

*darn thing slows loading of QA badly
    *sometimes it's on and sometimes it's not
    *it doesn't seem to filter the fields by the table used, and lists the same field for every table where it's used in the db (for example, if I have Personid in 30 tables, it lists it 30 times even with a table preface!)
    *no suggestions for joins, or very inconsistent at best.

Starting to think that v2.0 was better (one of my developers is still on v2 and she's glad it works!) This version really needs attention, or at least better help so that I can configure the darned product to work.