Options

SQL Prompt 3 crashes SQL Management Studio!?

jamaljamal Posts: 47 Bronze 3
edited March 21, 2007 8:29AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
I have been evaluating SQL prompt 3 and I think I have found quite a serious bug.

1. Using SQL Management Studio
2. Open a query window
3. Drag the split window tool so your query window will appear twice, a top one and a bottom one.
4. Type a single quote

SQL Prompt attempts to automatically insert the ending single quote. But with the windows split this causes an infinite loop which crashes SQL management studio and causes you to lose any unsaved documents.

This has been repeatable after reboot. I have not checked this on another machine.

Is this repeatable for anyone else?
James

Comments

• Options
    VisualDragonVisualDragon Posts: 20 Bronze 3
    Cool. I have repeated what you have described and can confirm that this happens to me as well. I am running SQL2005 SP2.

[Edit]
    Actually, I did not crash (at least not yet) and clicking on the close x for the query did eventually bring up the save dialog and I could just click No and all was then well. That is about all I could do though.

Dave
    Dave.
  • Options
    I guess I wasn't as patient :) I eventually killed sql management studio. I'll try simply clicking the [x] next time to see what happens. Then, I don't plan repeating this behavior!

I did hear from Red-gate and they said this was fixed in the 3.1 version which has a beta available already, I think.

james
    James
  • Options
    Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    jamal wrote:
    3. Drag the split window tool so your query window will appear twice, a top one and a bottom one.

Hi James,

Sorry you're having problems. I'm a bit confused by the above: what "split window" tool? I can split the editor window by clicking the Window > Split menu item if that's what you mean?

We are aware that there was a bug in the 3.0 release that caused a crash/hang when a single quote was entered in a split window however this has been fixed in the 3.1 release. If you desperately need it you can download the early access release of 3.1 and you should find that this fixes your problem, however we have also fixed one other bug that caused schema filtering to misbehave for the final 3.1 release which should be available in the next few days.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • Options
    Yes, that's what I meant...I was trying to describe the little button that is just above the main scrollbar in sql mgmt studio that you can click and drag to split your window. Same function.

I wrote this post to make people aware of the bug so they can avoid it, as it's not a very nice one to find, more than to complain about it. It's easy enough to work around. Good product overall. thanks
    James
  • Options
    Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    Hi James,

You learn something new every day: I've never seen that before. Looks like Visual Studio has it as well. Very useful indeed.

No problem on the bug report: I'd rather people reported things than didn't. Fortunately this one got picked up fairly early on, and the problem is that we were getting told about the edit twice with the window split so it just kind of gets stuck inserting more apostrophes. Like you say, very unpleasant when it happens.

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd