Options

hierarchic view...

randyvrandyv Posts: 166
edited March 16, 2007 8:08AM in SQL Dependency Tracker
Hello -

Just wondering what the upper object limit is for SQL DT2?

Here is why I ask - I'm in the middle of a data conversion project going from one ERP system to another.

In the new ERP system, I have a couple of databases that I want to load into the application and display using hierarchic layout.

Now, bear in mind these are commercial ERP databases (LOTs of tables, views, sprocs, etc.)

The baloon layout comes up after a few minute processing.

I save the project. Then I select hierarchic layout.

I'm on an IBM 3000 J Series Athlon X2. Running Windows 2K3 server.
(That's my PC running DT2). The last time I tried this was 2 days ago, left it running for over 48 hours, all that ever happened was the progress meter kept spinning indicating it was chugging on the layout... so I finally killed it.

Hence the question -

Thanks.

Randy
What we do in life echoes in eternity <><
Randy Volters

Comments

• Options
    Hi Randy,

There's no hard limit on Dependency Tracker, but as you've noticed some of the layouts perform significantly worse with substantial numbers of objects.

Version 2 has been tested with up to a couple of thousand objects, though not all layouts are performant at this point. On the other hand, 48 hours does seem very excessive. Was the CPU usage for Dependency Tracker still high at that point? I'm not certain, but this could be a bug in our layout algorithms.

I'm not sure if you can send us the data in question, but if so we may be able to try and diagnose the problem.

All the best,

Dan
  • Options
    Dan -

Zipped file OK? Who do I send it to?
    What we do in life echoes in eternity <><
    Randy Volters