Options

Activation Concerns

Greetings,

I'm considering purchasing a license to ANTS Profiler 2. I'm an independant developer and not even a business. I do not like the profiler that comes with my MSDN Team Developer subscription. I find ANTS to be much simpler to digest.

My hardware changes frequently. I'm always plopping in new video cards and more/different RAM and changing monitors (now I have a 19" but soon I'll have a 22" and not long after I'll update to two 24" wides). My primary hard disk is removable so I can develop within different environments though I'm moving more towards virtualization in that area and will expect to be able to install this in a virtual environment since that is how I get my configuration/OS difference and I develop in those environments when necessary, not just test.

I'm about to build a new PC that is a dual dual-core and within the year afterwords will change the CPU's two a dual quad-core configuration.

I've been burned by other hardware-hash activation schemes in the past and am naturally reluctant to spend any money on a product that will cause me stress in the future. I simply refuse to support financially a product that rewards me with licensing grief.

My question is how friendly to me needs will this product be? Right now the Team Suite product does quite a bit what I need and doesn't require me to activate everytime I change something and it appears AQTime doesn't either (based on a cursory internet search) but each present results in a way that make my head ache-and-spin. Nonetheless, they are competitive advantages that I'll heavily consider. Ease of use is fine, but not being harrassed by a licensing enforcer when I'm not violating the license (or rather the licensing itself is too restrictive) makes it moot.

I'm only concerned with whether your license policy considers my needs and what I can expect everytime my hardware changes (which can be semi-monthly). How many phone calls will I have to make to get re-activated, etc. etc. I gave up on Adobe and a few other software vendors and found suitable alternatives. I'd rather sort this out straight from the beginning.

Thanks,
Shawn

Comments

• Options
    As long as you don't change everything in your machine you won't need to re-activate your product. If you do then yes you'll need to re-licence the product.

By everything I mean cpu, motherboard, network and hard disk :). Pretty much a new machine then.

Support are very open to people needing more activations that normal if that's your usage. A lot of contractors use our software and need to activate it on client machines on an almost daily basis, so it's something we're quite used to.

BTW wait a few days and ANTS Profiler 3 will be out ;)
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd