Options

Redirect snippets and engine options xml files?

schawkschawk Posts: 4
edited March 16, 2007 1:18PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Is there a way to redirect the engineoptions.xml and sql prompt 3 snippets.xml file to a different location?

Comments

• Options
    Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    Hi there,

At the moment I'm afraid we don't provide this functionality although it is on our list of possible features for the future. If you do ever want to make a backup of the files for any reason, perhaps to share them with somewhere else we store them in:

C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local settings\Application data\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 3

The files, apart from the cache files, are all pretty self-explanatory XML, and there's no issue with moving them to a different machine. The only exception here is the cache files, which are all encrypted and can only be read by the user that wrote them.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick reply. The problem I am having is that at the office we use roaming profiles. They do not sync the local settings directory thus I loose my settings and snippets after I log off. I was hoping to be able to change the default save location for these files.
  • Options
    As a workaround...what about a home-made solution, involving you copying the settings to a safe area on exit, and re-loading same on entry? Via a batch file?
  • Options
    That's a very good idea. You could maybe put it in the Startup folder on your Start menu so that it runs automatically when you log in?
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • Options
    The batch file idea is exactly what I ended up doing. Works like a charm.
  • Options
    ..."That's a very good idea"
    I used to be a big fan of "McGyver"....simple inventive solutions to get out of doggie-pooh situations! :D

Bart....any comment on that PM I sent you re product enhancement...good, bad, off the wall, illegal :?:
  • Options
    Hi Andrew,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. YGPM.

Oh YES! I used to love McGyver, although I think the "let's build a tank out of random bits of scrap metal and old toilet rolls" thing was originally down to the good ol' A-Team, which was just about my favourite show ever as a kid.

George_Peppard_hannibal_2.jpg

"I love it when a plan comes together!"

Cheers,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd