Error Distributing Load Generation

tommyjjohnsontommyjjohnson Posts: 4
edited February 27, 2007 5:32PM in ANTS Load
I'm trying to use multiple hosts to generate load using a particular test script. I have it setup like this:

localhost
--localhost
----Host1
----Host2
----Host3
----Hostn

When I start the test, everything looks good. I can tell by the Web Service\Current Connections performance counter that my script is running and, in fact, hitting the Web Server(s). In addition, I have text that is being logged to track the progress of the script and it shows that the script is progressing as expected. After a while, however, I get the following message on the master machine:

An error was raised on .:

System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException: Server encountered an internal error. For more information, turn on customErrors in the server's .config file.

Server stack trace:

Exception rethrown at[0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at RedGate.Ants.Controllers._1.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)
at RedGate.Ants.Controllers.Host._1(IAsyncResult)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    It looks like one of the distributed test hosts isn't working, and of course we can't tell which one. Is it possible to try putting only one host in, trying each one, until you can find out which one has the problem? It may be as simple as starting the ANTS Load Distributed Test Service on the host because it isn't running.
  • I left out that I get two such errors for every one distributed host. I changed it to use just one host and now I get just two error messages.

I've verified that the service is running. As a precaution, I even restarted the service on each distributed host. Also, the individual hosts are able to run the script if I start the Ants GUI on them directly.

What I'm looking into now is how to turn customErrors off so that hopefully, I can get more information. I'm not quite sure how to do that. What I think I need to do (and what I've done) is to create a RedGate.Ants.Ants.exe.config file in the Program Files\Ants Load folder with customErrors="Off" in it. And as I type I see that didn't work. Same error message. Actually, I notice now there is one variant between the messages. This one had the last two lines of:

at RedGate.Ants.Controllers._3.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)
    at RedGate.Ants.Controllers.Host._7(IAsyncResult)

where it was

at RedGate.Ants.Controllers._1.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)
    at RedGate.Ants.Controllers.Host._1(IAsyncResult)

Thanks
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Two ideas: I think the account you log into the ANTS master with needs to be a domain account with admin rights on all machines. I know ANTS uses the ANTS:Host performance counters to distribute the load. I'm not 100% sure about whether the Service (which is probably running as LocalSystem) does this, which is the source of the doubt.

There could also be remoting restrictions in the .NET Framework configuration. I think if this was the case, though, the exception would have 'SecurityException' in it somewhere.

Can you please look into one or both of these and let me know the outcome?