SQL2005 - why is Lumigent going to support it and not you?

msekezmsekez Posts: 4
edited March 31, 2010 9:56AM in SQL Log Rescue
I was really interested in your product (had some problems getting it run on SQL 2k, but your forum support tip helped)..sadly SQL 2k is not what i need.

I have contacted Lumigent and they indicated they will have SQL2005 support for Log Explorer in 30 days. I'm not sure I understand the implication on this page: http://redgate.com/products/sql_log_res ... _plans.htm that Microsoft is disallowing log reading tool vendors from supporting SQL2005 when Lumigent appears to be about ready to release a version that does just this, as clearly this isn't the case. At least according to Lumigent.

As leaders on third party SQL tool market and based on my experience you really do make top notch tools - why can't you catch up with technology, while others do?

Comments

• Hi there,
    msekez wrote:
    I'm not sure I understand the implication on this page: http://redgate.com/products/sql_log_res ... _plans.htm that Microsoft is disallowing log reading tool vendors from supporting SQL2005 when Lumigent appears to be about ready to release a version that does just this, as clearly this isn't the case. At least according to Lumigent.

Guys, any word on this? We look for an appropriate product being able to rescue SQL 2005 db's. I was disappointed when saw that you don't have any plan for that:
    There are no current plans for SQL Log Rescue to support SQL 2005 transaction logs. It may be something that is considered in the future, buy currently it is not on the horizon.

This problem with Microsoft sounds very curiously...
  • Any new word on this? What it he M$ license issue? I bet you can get some people to contact them and let them know how they are hurting the SQL community.

This is a GREAT produce (when it works)

I am willing to contact M$ about it.
    Rick Toner
    MCP, MCSD
    http://www.TonerTrail.com
  • I would like to simply cut to the chase ...

I know how one can be left flapping in the breeze by MSFT over licensing issues, so I'd simply like to know this - "Is Red Gate actually trying to get closure on this so that SQL Server 2K5 can be supported?"

I'd like to know because if this is just going to lay here forever, then I need to get about finding a suitable replacement. Whereas if this is being actively worked, then I could maybe sit and wait it out.

It is the not knowing about the current status that is giving me heartburn.

Regards.
    What we do in life echoes in eternity <><
    Randy Volters
  • Here Here!

This was the most powerful product that I used from them. Now I have a program that does not work anymore due to upgrading to SQL 2005.

Let us know if you are even in any kind of effort to get this fixed.

Rick
    Rick Toner
    MCP, MCSD
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Rick,

I'm in the process of trying to get an official statement about this. This is why this topic has been so silent on our end.

What Chris had said is the truth: Microsoft are imposing some restrictions on the log file documentation, but this isn't meant to signify that this is the final word. We're still trying to get Microsoft to see things our way.
  • I'm hoping that there is some kind of offical statement released soon on this.

Lumigent might work for 2005 this, but why would anyone use that? If they can do it, Red-gate can do it better.

If Microsoft doesn't see it as a benefit, do what many other companies do. Figure out a way to do it anyway.
    Irish
    Hi Jeffrey,

I think we've learned that it's technically challenging enough to try to analyze a live log file, without the additional problem of making assumptions about the file format. This combination often results in unstable software or software that doesn't live up to its full potential.

I do appreciate what you're saying though. It would be a challenge worthy of a great programmer to hack Microsoft's file format by brute force!
  • I've been using the free log reader from Quest, that works a treat on SQL 2005. Just trying to find the link now....
  • arila,
    Please post the link here when you find it. I do not know of any free log reader for SQL 2005.

Thanks
    Rick
    Rick Toner
    MCP, MCSD
  • Hi, here is the link to download the log reader with SQL 2005 support:

http://quest.com/quest_download_assets/ ... ver_12.msi

enjoy
    Hi,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see a way in Quest Log Reader to recover the data from a dropped table. Log Rescue can recreate the table and recover the data. I think their program is mainly just a log analyzer more than a data recovery tool in my humble opinion.
  • Hi,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see a way in Quest Log Reader to recover the data from a dropped table. Log Rescue can recreate the table and recover the data. I think their program is mainly just a log analyzer more than a data recovery tool in my humble opinion.

Hi Brian,
    Out of frustration of purchasing your product and getting the subscription. How do you have any room to talk about this any more at Red Gate?

You have let customers down by stopping development of this product. It is now useless. One big issue. "At Least" this one ca read SQ 2005.

Please don't try and sugar cote this and compare your product to this. It is nice that Log rescue can recover data but only in SQL 2000. Humm it is 2007 and SQL 2005 has been out for almost 2 years now.

Thanks arila for posting the link. I will start to look at there products. Maybe support from this community can have them add development to make a product that works in SQL 2005.
    Rick Toner
    MCP, MCSD
    Sorry, I was not trying to sugar coat the issue. I was pointing out that these two products are not exactly the same.

Also to clarify, development has not stopped on Log Rescue -- it's just on hold until the licensing issue is straightened out. Admittedly this isn't a top priority for Red Gate, but Log Rescue shouldn't be considered orphan-ware just yet.
  • As an avid user of the Red-Gate products, I'm curious to how other companies can have tools released for SQL 2005, but you all are blocked by Microsoft due to a licensing issue? Not attacking, but simply curious what the other companies are doing to work around this issue, or are they running into the same roadblocks?
  • Thank you for all your posts on the issue of 2005 support with SQL Log Rescue. Our feelings at Red Gate have always been that to offer SQL Server 2005 support without the necessary licensing would risk us providing our customers with potentially unstable software. That being the case, development of SQL Log Rescue has slowed down for now until the licensing issue is resolved. However, we are still keen to make progress with the tool, particularly with regards to achieving both 2005 support and adding more features that could make Log Rescue even more useful in the future.

Your feedback could really help us make a difference in how we go about developing SQL Log Rescue. I would be very pleased to hear more from all our customers who have downloaded Log Rescue as a free tool. If you’re going to the PASS conference in Denver this coming September, why not drop by at the Red Gate stand and let me know your thoughts on the tool? Alternatively, please feel free to e-mail me with your comments on SQL Log Rescue at andras.belokosztolszki (at) red-gate.com. I would be happy to hear from you, and I would also be pleased to send out some Red Gate goodies to all those who contact me with constructive feedback.

Kind regards,
    Andras (lead developer of Log Rescue 1.x, product manager for next versions)
    András Belokosztolszki, PhD
    Red Gate Software Ltd.
  • I just downloaded and installed SQL log rescue and I am quite frustrated to find it doesn't work with SQL 2005. Having read this forum I now know why!

With SQL 2008 round the corner, it should have been a safe assumption that it would work on 2005.
    Can you please make it more obvious on the download page as I've wasted time downloading and installing this for no reason.

As for stability, I appreciate and admire your sentiment - but that viewpoint never stopped Microsoft before :? , I'm always having to reverse engineer because some company or other doesn't fully "document" how something works, especially Microsoft.

I'm going to try out ApexSQL's log which does recover data. I am disappointed as yours looked a stronger product. I'd pay for it too - as I will have to if I get on with the Apex product.

Hopefully you'll resurrect it in future.
    Cheers
    Chris
  • Log Reader has the Recovery Table Wizard to recover dropped and truncated tables. It reads the online db log to detect changes like CREATE (INDEX/TABLE), DROP (INDEX/TABLE), INSERT ROW, and so on. Almost all detected commands can be undone.

I dropped and created the same table many times I noticed Log Reader can recover any drop in the timeline. The same is for truncated tables. It creates a table with original name or adds _1 to an original table name, if another table with the same name already exists in the database.

Log Reader also uses the db backup, if necessary.

http://www.quest.com/common/default.asp ... defid=5875

http://www.quest.com/common/registratio ... defid=5875
  • Just another customer who is having the same problems. I had a developer who made a mistake and needed me to roll back only one change of many that they had made. I found that SQL Log Rescue couldn't connect to our SQL 2005 database. I ended up having to restore from the last transaction log and had them re-apply all of their changes again.

It was an easy job for me, but the developer wasn't too happy about it. I would like to hear about any change in the status of this software to support SQL 2005 and later.

In addition, when I checked for updates, the software had problems - "Unable to locate download version". I'm using version 1.2.0.29
  • Hello,

I am curious if a new version is in development or is there another RG product that will also read the transaction logs for SQL 2008? We used Log Rescue on our SQL 2K DB's. This was a great tool that helped us trouble shoot what a user did and when, very quickly. We dropped Lumigent's Log Explorer since Log Rescue did every thing we needed and was also free.

We also use Red-Gates SQL Backup which is a great tool that speeds up and encrypts our databases backups and our log files backups that we use for log shipping. We gave SQL Backup a try because we had such great success with Log Rescue and have been happy so far.

Since we are on SQL 2008, and compress and encrypt our log backups with SQL Backup we are unable to try and purchase another tool that will give us the ability to read the transaction logs without having to jump through some hoops. This functionality isn't needed often, but when the need is there, it is a priority.

I would love to hear that SQL Log Rescue is coming back even if it is no longer free with a reasonable purchase price. If not we will likely have to move to Quest, since they do provide a backup compression and encryption software along with software that gives us the ability to read the transaction logs.

Thank you for your time,
    Hello,

There aren't any plans to do a log reader tool on the horizon and the reason for cancelling SQL Log Rescue had more to do with Microsoft's attempt to protect the log file format than a market-driven decision based on sales volume. I think we would have liked very much to keep it going, but it was too risky to update. This is the reason why it had been a free tool for so long, because we couldn't in good conscience take money for a product that we had no intention of supporting any more.

Before SQL Server 2005 came out, we had charged $495 for the tool!