Smart Rename giving error "Failed to register database"

MKFerretMKFerret Posts: 4
edited September 9, 2009 10:32AM in SQL Refactor Previous Versions
Perhaps I'm missing something simple, but the Smart Rename feature is giving me the error "Failed to register database" after I select a New name and click Next. Has anyone seen (or more importantly, fixed) this problem?

Best Regards,

Mike

Comments

• ... I _suppose_ I should cancel the question ... shutting down SQL Management Studio (and Visual Studio) and restarting just SQL Management Studio works upon retrying. I don't know what got locked to prevent the creation of a script, but I'm back up and running now.

All the best,

Mike
  • I also get this error, but I can't resolve it by restarting SSMS.
    If I am connected to one server (I am sysadmin on this server) I have no problems, if I am connected to another server, I get the error: "Failed to register database". I am db_owner on the database, but only dbcreator and public on this server.

the second server:
    Microsoft SQL Server Enterprise Edition (64-bit)
    Version 10.0.2723.0

What rights I need on the server?
  • If you are unable to have dbo or sysadmin privileges on the server, you should be able to read the necessary metadata to register the database if you:

GRANT VIEW DEFINITION TO [{username}]

I hope this helps.
    Chris
  • This does not solve the problem:
    use [master]
    GO
    GRANT VIEW ANY DEFINITION TO [{username}]
    GO

I am the db_owner on the database, so I think I have all rights I need on the database. But it seams I need some more rights on the server or in a system database for using Smart Rename. Which?
  • Sorry Germo, my mistake.

I just noticed you are using SQL 2008. You will also need:

GRANT VIEW SERVER STATE TO [{username}]

I've tested this myself this time, and it resolved the 'failed to register database' issue for me.
    Chris
  • yes, this works!
    Thank you