Options

Column list in INSERT statement

jamietjamiet Posts: 11
edited February 1, 2007 11:10AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Can SQL Prompt build the column list for me after I type:

"INSERT INTO MyTable ("

???

If it can, I haven't found how to do it. If it can't, consider that a feature request!

-Jamie

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

Thanks for posting. I'm getting the columns at that point, although the CL doesn't pop up automatically, I have to press Ctrl + Shift to get it. Is that what's happening for you? If not, could you tell me what version of SQL Prompt and what editor you are using? And if possible the exact script?

Regards,

Tilman
  • Options
    Hi Tilman,
    Yeah, I experience the same (except I have it configured to use the default CTRL-spacebar).

What I would like though is to automatically populate the column-list with every column in the table. Similar to how typing "SELECT *" followed by a tab creates the whole column-list.

Does that make sense?

Regards
    Jamie
  • Options
    Hi Jamie,
    except I have it configured to use the default CTRL-spacebar
    Whoops, my bad, I meant Ctrl + Space. It's currently not possible to configure that command.
    What I would like though is to automatically populate the column-list with every column in the table. Similar to how typing "SELECT *" followed by a tab creates the whole column-list.
    Sorry, misunderstanding on my part. You can't expand the wildcard there, I'm afraid, but you can use the column picker, which is almost as quick. Please see the help on how to use the column picker (SQL Prompt>Help>Working with SQL Prompt>Using the Candidate List>Selecting candidates using the column picker).

Regards,

Tilman
  • Options
    Tilman wrote:
    Hi Jamie,
    Sorry, misunderstanding on my part. You can't expand the wildcard there, I'm afraid, but you can use the column picker, which is almost as quick. Please see the help on how to use the column picker (SQL Prompt>Help>Working with SQL Prompt>Using the Candidate List>Selecting candidates using the column picker).

Regards,

Tilman

Good stuff, thanks Tilman.

Consider that a feature request then.

-Jamie
  • Options
    Consider that a feature request then.
    Duely noted ;)

Regards,

Tilman