Sharing option configuration

kzakoskikzakoski Posts: 10
edited February 2, 2007 1:50PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Is there a way to share the option configurations from one user to another in SQL Prompt 3?

SQL Refractor has the ability to save and load an option configuration and the same functionality would be very useful when we have SQL Prompt configured. Setting up one or two users isn't that difficult, but when you have a team of developers and DBA using the same tool, it would be very convenient to distribute a configuration so were all using the same options.

Comments

• It looks like all of the config options are stored in XML files in the user's Local App Data folder. I haven't tried it, but I would imagine that you could copy those XML files and the options would all be copied.

The Local App Data folder for SQL Prompt is usually at %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 3
    -Jesse
  • elezar wrote:
    It looks like all of the config options are stored in XML files in the user's Local App Data folder. I haven't tried it, but I would imagine that you could copy those XML files and the options would all be copied.

The Local App Data folder for SQL Prompt is usually at %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 3

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
  • Hi,

What elezar says is correct. The files should be quite self-explanatory.
    SQL Refractor has the ability to save and load an option configuration
    We are planning to do something like this in a future release.

Regards,

Tilman
  • Tilman wrote:
    Hi,

What elezar says is correct. The files should be quite self-explanatory.

Solution works with some tweaking. We experienced issues with the XML file format when pasting in code snippets in the main snippet xml file. Mixing ASCII and Unicode file formats didn't work, but once we realized what was happening we were able to add code snippets and share them between dev's.

As a future enhancement, it would be useful to have code snippets come from multiple sources versus one file. This would allow you to maintain your own customer snippets, but still have the ability to share a snippet file that contains common code that everyone could use.
  • Hi

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I have been quite surprised how much interest there has been in features like this. We will definatly look adding a few features like this.

Lionel
    Software Engineer
    Red Gate Software