Specify physical database and log files on remote db machine

le001yale001ya Posts: 14
edited February 2, 2007 3:03PM in SQL Packager Previous Versions
We bought SQL Professional Toolbelt license hoping that the SQL Packager would help us deploy our application database to any remote machine. It does the work well except the command line utility does not allow to specify the location of the physical datatabase and log files on the remote target machine.

First, is there a workaround? And second, do you have plan to include this feature in future release?

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

With the command-line version of SQL Packager (sqlpackager.exe), it is possible to specify the database and log path, using the /databasedirectory and /logdirectory options. However, I think you're referring to the actual package itself, produced either with SQLPACKAGER.exe or the UI version of SQL Packager. Packages cannot set the database and log path when run from the command-line; they will use the information saved in the package.
  • Is there any particular reason why the physical database and log files could not be specify during the deployment of the SQL Packager package executable?
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Probably not. I suppose you could save the package as a C# project and make the changes there, then compile and deploy it.
  • Please add this feature to your feature request list. I am sure that other SQL Packager users agree that it is important to have the capability to specify the physical database and log files when deploying the database to a production database server.
  • I will second this request. We use Installshield and would like to install DBs to specific locations with info we already have, so they don't need to go into advanced options and change it.