SQL Compact Edition (formally known as SQL Everywhere)

ashawashaw Posts: 12
edited February 29, 2008 7:52AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
With the recent release of SQL Compact Edition being supported on the desktop platform as well as the PocketPC/CE environment. What are RedGates plans, if any, for supporting the new (or improved) platform?

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

As far as I know, there isn't a clear position on SQL CE. We don't support it at the moment...

I know this is not terribly helpful.
  • What do you mean by a clear position? I know that you currently do not support it since it requires a completely different connection and whatnot, I was basically asking that since it's been released in the last couple weeks, if you planned to incorporate it into the SQL Tools or not.
  • Ashaw,

As you say, "it requires a completely different connection and whatnot" It is the whatnot that is the problem, for example there are differences in the syntax for SQL Compact and full SQL, meta data is stored differently and so on. Therefore we would have to make substantial changes to the SQL Compare engine, not something that we undertake lightly.

We probably make a decision in the latter stages of this year after SQL Compare v6.0 has been released. The decision will be based on the take up of SQL Compact and the amount of interest that customers express in this feature, etc.

Regards,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
  • RawdenRawden Posts: 34 Bronze 2
    Has there been any development on this at all? There seems to currently be nothing on the market to do the job...
  • Hi,

Sadly, SQL Compact support isn't on our roadmap at this time. Of course we would consider this in future if we can make a compelling business case.

Thanks,

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software