INFORMATION_SCHEMA

General1General1 Posts: 17
edited April 27, 2007 5:45AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Hi,

I just bought the product, because I think it really simplifies your work. ;-)

In my query today, however, it didn't really help me:

select * from Information_schema.
and then I expected the intellisense to show me the options, but I didn't see Tables, nor Columns. I suspect the others aren't there either.

Are these going to be added please ?

Thanks,
Dirk
Dirk

Comments

• Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    Hi Dirk,

Support for system objects is switched off by default because their presence can be a bit annoying if you're not interested in them most of the time. On the other hand, obviously if you need them you need them.

To enable system object support:

(i) Click SQL Prompt > Options
    (ii) Click on the Candidates tab.
    (iii) Make sure "Include system objects in the candidate list" is checked (it's right at the bottom).

Objects in the INFORMATION_SCHEMA should then appear, although you may need to move the cursor in order to force a refresh of the completion popup initially.

Please note that whilst the objects themselves are shown their columns are not shown due to a limitation in the meta-data model we are using that affects SQL Server 2005. We will be addressing this in a future release.

Hope that helps you out for now at least in part.

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • Bart Read wrote:
    Support for system objects is switched off by default because their presence can be a bit annoying if you're not interested in them most of the time.

Please note that whilst the objects themselves are shown their columns are not shown due to a limitation in the meta-data model we are using that affects SQL Server 2005. We will be addressing this in a future release.

I think it would make sense to pop up the list of columns for system tables and INFORMATION_SCHEMA if you type out the name of the system table, even if system objects is turned off in the options. I may not want to show these tables in the dropdown all the time, but if I do type the table name out and hit a dot, I would want to see a dropdown of the columns in that table. Please consider this while you're addressing the INFORMATION_SCHEMA column issue.

Thanks
  • Any idea as to when columns would be shown for Information_schema views ?
    Dirk