Options

SQL Compare Bugs

mjmarsmjmars Posts: 2
edited January 24, 2007 6:38AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Is this the best place to report issues with SQL Compare or is there a separate place to log bugs?

I've been a happy user of SQL Compare since version 3 and have been using version 5 since it came out. However, in the last year, as I've begun to use more of SQL Server 2005's new features, I've come across a number of issues that SQL Compare doesn't handle well.

1) Permissions on CLR stored procedures - When a CLR assembly changes and SQL Compare determines that the assembly needs to be dropped and recreated (rather than altered), it drops the CLR stored procedures from the and recreates them, but when it does so, it loses the permissions that had been set on the stored procedures.

2) Assemblies with VISIBILITY = OFF - When comparing databases that contain assemblies with VISIBILITY = OFF (see ALTER ASSEMBLY) SQL Compare fails with an error: Index was outside the bounds of the array.

3) XML Schema Collections - SQL Compare does not sync XML Schema Collections. XML Schema Collections are shown in the identical objects group even when the SQL Differences pane shows differences in the schema.

4) Dependencies between Views and inline Table Valued Functions - We have a somewhat complicated hierarchy of views and inline table valued functions that SQL Compare can never seem to script out updates to in the proper order. We usually have to run synchronization in multiple times, manually selected the objects to sync to get them updated in the proper order.

Are these known issues? Are any of them going to be fixed soon? If necessary I can provide more detailed steps and/or SQL scripts to reproduce the issues.

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    edited July 8, 2007 5:56PM
    Hello,

Thanks for the information. Just to confirm: are you using version 5.3? I think the table-valued function issue has been taken care of. But you're right; there is still work to do with how assemblies are handled. XML schema collections are posing a difficult problem in particular and I can honestly say that isn't going to be supported in the immediate future.
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    If you have a SQL script handy that illustrates case #4, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!