Permissions

vmasanasvmasanas Posts: 5
edited January 18, 2007 12:19PM in SQL Data Compare Previous Versions
I'm getting an error whenever I try to sync to a database where my user login has limited permissions.
The error is :
Denied permission for SELECT on object 'syslogins', database 'master', owner 'dbo'

The problem is I don't want to sync users, just data on my tables. Using this same account and a previous version of datacompare I can connect to the same db without any problem.

Is there any way to solve this and allow the sync to work?
Thanks
Vicenç

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

I suspect that since version 5 of Data Compare shares some of the same components with SQL Compare, this issue has come up. The new components retrieve the schema information in much the same way in both SQL Compare and Data Compare. This normally doesn't happen unless the databases are locked down in an extremely paranoid way.

In this case, I can't suggest any workarounds that would help.
  • The problem is that with version 3.3.9 (both sql and data compare) this works. And I don't see this is such a paranoid way of security, just the user is ddladmin, not dbo.
    This is a very common setup in ISPs so this feature is a must when you have to replicate data/structure to a solution hosted on an internet provider.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    In this case, we are not referring to the rights in the database you want to compare. We are talking about your rights in the master database for the system. It looks like your provider has taken away everyone's rights to user attributes.