Options

Licensing question

PeterPeter Posts: 9
edited January 12, 2007 5:50AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
If I remember well the License for SQL compare and other tools allowed one user to install the software on multiple computers, as long as it was used by one user (for example, on home computer, work computer, etc.). Today I was again asked about this and when I rechecked the License I'm not sure about that anymore:

"5.1.1 use and copy the Software for use subject to clause 5.4 on a single computer owned, leased and/or controlled by the Licensee or its employer or organization for whom the Licensee has installed the Software;"

Has anything changed in the License lately, because I'm quite sure it was per-user license?

Please clarify this, because it's quite common at our company for users to have two computers, to get new computers etc.
Peter Reskovic
Hermes SoftLab

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Peter

SQL Compare and the other SQL tools is licensed per single user. This single user can install & register the supplied serial number on multiple machines as required.

By default the license serial number is suplied with quantity 3 Distinct Allowed Activations. I believe this number was chosen due the fact the user may use the tools to on a desktop machine, laptop and a server.

As this user may well have to replace machines for example due to hardware failure or obsolescence, the number of allowed activations can be increased by sending an e-mail to sales@red-gate.com or a telephone call to sales(US & Canada toll free 1 866 RED GATE, UK & Rest of the World +44(0)870 160 0037).

If you have second indivdual or more who need to use SQL Compare you will need to purchase a license for each indivdual.

The one exception to the above is SQL Backup, which is licensed per server.

Eddie Davis
    Red Gate Software
    Technical Support
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Hi Eddie,

thanks for your explanation. That's exactly how I understood the License when we purchased the products and we are using them according to this. I was just confused with the currently published License because this per-user model was not so obvious to me anymore.
    Peter Reskovic
    Hermes SoftLab